My iPhone won't vibrate. Brand new. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iamrawr, Aug 23, 2010.

1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Hey guys I'm new to the iPhone forum so... Hi :)

Well I just got my iPhone yesterday after half a month of waiting. As time passed I noticed it never vibrated on call or text messages. I checked the settings and they were both turned on (ringer and silent) I even toggled the ring/silent switch to see if worked. I did a hard reset, but didn't restore yet, though I highly doubt it's going to work. Downloaded a massaging app, nothing. I am about to return it to the store, but I've read that returns will result in Apple giving you a refurbished one? And how much longer do I have to wait for a fully working phone? Plus my current iPhone has a screen protector on it and I don't want to go buy another. What are my other options? :(

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

We need some information first. What model? 3G, 3GS, 4? What firmware are you on? Where did you buy the phone from? Is it new? When you say you aren't getting vibrate on text messages is that from the native SMS app or a 3rd party one?

If it's 3rd party it may not have vibrate support built in.

3. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

it's the iPhone 4 (16GB), just plugged it in itunes yesterday and the installed version is 4.0.2 (8A400)

i ordered my phone online via apple website. opened the box yesterday. and i'm using the native "Messages" app for text messaging. The vibrating app i used to test was iBrate.

4. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Does the native vibrate work with messaging? You may have a defective phone if it doesn't vibrate at all. Since you just bought it you will be able to exchange it for a new one that works. That's my suggestion. I know you have a screen protector, you might ask the retailer you got your phone from if they would help out with the cost of a new one.

Usually it's best not to put a screen protector on until you have verified that your phone is free of defects. I usually wait a week or so. Good luck.

5. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Yea it won't work with Messaging. But thanks so much for the reassurance on a new phone as it was my major concern. I will try asking about a new screen protector too. Thanks again!