My iphone wont work!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RichardBarker, Feb 24, 2011.

1. RichardBarker, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011

RichardBarker macrumors newbie

My iphone 3g is second hand, the girlfreind dropped it in a cup of hot chocolate. Her parents bought her a new iphone 4, so i decided i would put the 3g on the radiator and it started working again after a few hours. The screen still worked and it charged. The only faults were the volume buttons and lock button up top.

It worked hassle free for over a month and i fell in love with it.

However, I was away for a couple of days and couldnt charge my phone and it ran out of charge completly. When i got home i plugged it in, the usb sign came on the screen. I loaded itunes but it came up with a warning message, it knew there was an iphone there but couldnt sync with it. That was the first time that had ever happened.

I tried it a few times, even tried charging it in a dock and in the mains but nothing happened.
    People have tried to tell me to push the lock and home button together but odviously that wont work since the lock button is broken.
    Any advice or tips i could do to fix it?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

What kind of warning appear when you open Itunes with your phone attached to it?

3. RichardBarker thread starter macrumors newbie

The first time it said it knew there was an iphone there but couldnt connect, now it dosnt say anything at all when i plug it in.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

can you put the phone into DFU mode and see if Itunes is detecting it?

5. wpotere Guest

It may have finally died. If you didn't clean it out (take it apart) after the hot chocolate incident it likely corroded.

6. RichardBarker thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant put it into DFU mode caus the sleep button dosnt work.

7. RichardBarker thread starter macrumors newbie

would it be odvious to the eye if i was to take it apart and check to see if it had corroded?

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It should be! Just depends on how bad it is.

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Firstly, I'd say it's pretty remarkable that it survived the hot chocolate incident in the first place! :eek:
    It's really hard to say with these things what the exact problem is, but did you notice any change in battery life after the hot drink episode? This is purely a guess, but the battery may have taken some sort of damage, which led to problems arising when it was completely drained.

In my opinion, it's not worth trying to save the thing. A replacement iPhone would be expensive, of course, even if you were to get a second-hand 3GS. The 3G, however, is too old to support modern iOS features (multi-tasking being the biggy) and is only going to fall further and further behind.

Maybe try taking the phone to a repair shop (not necessarily an Apple store) and see what they say. I can understand why you'd want to cling onto it, but I'd honestly tell you that it's time to look for a replacement.

10. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Is worth taking it to a genius bar. While I was at one with an idiotic iPad problem a lady had a phone that wouldn't charge (it would actually). Genius mentioned something about a known problem that occurs with charging and can be reset.

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would be willing to bet that the lady hadn't dropped hers in hot chocolate.:D

12. RichardBarker thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to let you all know,

I spent my saturday afternoon stripping it down. When i opened it up i could still smell chocolate. I cleaned all of the connections, removed all the foreign debri. Put it all back together and it started working again, better than before i might add. All the buttons that were broken now work.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Great! Glad you got it fixed..:)