My iPod classic has a hard drive problem.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Freshmen, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Freshmen, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

Freshmen macrumors member

Freshmen

Its damaged and needs to be replaced I think, idk how else it can be fixed. Took it to apple and they wanted 130 to replace with a new one, thats essentially half the price of a new one.

I was looking at stuff online and its possible to fix it yourself, you buy a new hard drive and replace it? Is it worth it? Basically i need recommendations. Should I just pay the 130 and get it replaced or try to fix it myself?

2. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

$130 for a new one from Apple?, I would have hugged the guy.

Unless you are a DIYer and want to play around with different hd sizes, I don't think it is worth the trouble trying to open it.

I ended up buying a refurb from Cowboom for $140 because I couldn't get mine to launch anymore.

I was able to sell it as damaged on ebay for $60.

But I never thought of going to the Apple Store.
    I will next time.

3. kingtj macrumors 68020

Fair, IMO ....

The special type of "micro drive" used in the classic iPods isn't exactly cheap or easy to obtain. (Well, unless you only want a low capacity model like a 30GB -- which I'm assuming you don't!)

For example, here's one of the 160GB replacement drives for sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Apple-C...36494&sr=8-4&keywords=iPod+classic+hard+drive

That price is higher than Apple's repair quote, before you even talk about any labor to actually do the swap!

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

If its the 6th or 7th Gen, pay the $130! If its a Video (5th Gen) or earlier, then its easier to work on then the 6th or 7th Gen, but there is still a chance of damage.

If you do have an older model, then I would just buy a new one. At $130, you are only $100 short of buying a new 160GB model from Walmart.com. You could also buy a 160GB used or refurbed in working condition and use that. That would be cheaper then a brand new one.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Or find one of those nice SSDs that have a compatible connector and see your iPod play your music faster than you ever needed it to. ;)