Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sad news to broadcast: My trusty iPod classic - 160 GB that is all of seven years old (maybe eight...) seems to have died a death tonight.

Some hours ago, I was listening to Dire Straits, and the iPod was performing as faultlessly as usual.

Then, I put it aside to make an international phone call to my brother.

Upon taking it up, I noticed........nothing.

Dead screen, no lights, sounds, signs of life. Just an inert lump of metal.

This is what I regard as a real tragedy, no less, for this iPod has travelled the world - quite literally - with me.

Mourn with me.

And - if at all possible - advise me on how this wonderful device might yet be resurrected......

Ah: An update: After some online consultation, I pressed both the "menu" button and the central button simultaneously, which effected a resurrection - for now.

Nevertheless, thoughts and comments welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Bury it in a nearby pet cemetery. Maybe it come back.
If not, people will wonder at the tombstone for many many years to come.

The cemetery WORKED! Be wary!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bury it in a nearby pet cemetery. Maybe it come back.
If not, people will wonder at the tombstone for many many years to come.

The cemetery WORKED! Be wary!

Nah.

Can't bear to be parted from it - and, for now, a (perhaps temporary) resuscitation - or resurrection - has taken place.

But, yes, I suppose that I have been placed on notice........

And I must say that I love that device........in fact, it is still playing (my choice) of "Dire Straits" (might there be any significant message in that, I wonder, ever so slightly rhetorically?)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is the original battery? If so, perhaps it's the battery at the end of its life span. If you were able to power it back on briefly, was it connected to the charger when doing so? Also, when you use it, do you leave it charging while in use?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Time to replace the battery and HDD. If you would like I can offer my services. PM me.

The OP failed to reply, but likely are both considerations. The battery is the main concern at the age of this device. If it intermittently powers off as a stated, then this would the first trouble shooting step to replace it, followed by the next step if the repeated pattern follows.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Is the original battery? If so, perhaps it's the battery at the end of its life span. If you were able to power it back on briefly, was it connected to the charger when doing so? Also, when you use it, do you leave it charging while in use?

Yes, it is the original battery.

No, it was not charging when I managed to power it back on (the old 'menu' and the 'central control' button simultaneously).

No, I usually play it when travelling, or stretched out on my bed, or with my B&W headphones while online; in other words, it is not charging when I play it.

Time to replace the battery and HDD. If you would like I can offer my services. PM me.

Thank you for the offer; I may well take you up on it.

The OP failed to reply, but likely are both considerations. The battery is the main concern at the age of this device. If it intermittently powers off as a stated, then this would the first trouble shooting step to replace it, followed by the next step if the repeated pattern follows.

Sorry for the delay in replying, and thank you, all of you who have taken the time and trouble to reply.

Internet connection is intermittent and I had forgotten to check back with this thread.

Yes, the battery is the original one - I have had iPod classics where the old HDD died (under warranty) and were replaced without a murmur; that, obviously, was quite some time ago. This iPod dates from 2009, or 2010.

This is the first time the device has stuttered this way - it is a 160GB device - but it may well be a warning sign.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't know if you own any iOS-running devices, but I've had iPhones and iPads since 2010. And while they are equipped with SSD storage and newer batteries compared to your iPod, I've had to reboot those devices in an almost identical fashion (holding down the power/lock button with the home button for a few seconds simultaneously) countless times because of random bugs in the software that froze them in either a powered on but unresponsive state, or turned off and unresponsive. I'm nevertheless sure it's a good idea to swap out your battery and your storage anyway, but an unresponsive iPod doesn't have to exclusively be a sign of faulty hardware. If you're lucky it will tick along happily for many years to come after the forced reboot you did - and yet another possibility is that since you now know how to resuscitate it you will have to do it once in a while, but maybe not that often.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Actually, I don't have either an iPhone or an iPad, but - since the reboot as suggested here (and online) the splendid iPod classic is chugging along beautifully (and I hope that it may long continue to do so).

Reactions: Jantelagen

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I
I was told by an Apple repairer this week that the battery can't be replaced. But you have done it?

My iPod classic is 8 years old, still works but the battery is getting old. I use it mostly in the car and can keep it plugged into power ... do you know if that would be okay if the battery dies? Is there any danger of the battery leaking or exploding or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.