Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Alright, this sucks. I've noticed over the past couple weeks, my 4g iPod would occasionally make weird clicking noises and pause, but it would eventually start working again. Now, it seems to be done forever :( Today, I launched iTunes, and it just froze up while trying to sync my iPod. It kept happening each time I tried it. Then, I was finally able to unmount my iPod, and now, all of my playlists and music are gone. I reset the iPod, tried to sync, iTunes froze again! So I think it's safe to say that it's done for. Absolute crap too, didn't even last longer than a year and a half and I didn't get Apple Doesn'tCare :mad:

I'm thinking about buying an iPod Nano tomorrow to replace it. Even though I've had great luck with iPods :rolleyes: I figure that there's no hard drive to crap out on the Nano. Only problem is, the biggest nano is 4 gigs and I've got about 30 gigs of music

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Seems like there are a lot of nano teething problems. Wait if you possible can.

As for your iPod, certainly sounds like a hard drive failure. I would always be anxious of another hard drive iPod if I had a failure too.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
steve_hill4 said:
Seems like there are a lot of nano teething problems. Wait if you possible can.

Nah, I need music.

My school bookstore has some 2 gig Nanos in white in stock now. Not sure if I want 2 or 4 gig. Neither of them will come close to storing my library, but I'm at the computer every day to sync a new batch of songs.

I am getting Applecare this time though

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
That sucks, my 15GB is still going strong after 28 months :D seriously the 20GB is not much more expensive than the 4GB nano and is much better, oh and remember to wipe :p

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Even better at the store I work.

4GB nano - £179
20GB iPod - £189 (Price-matching to another store)

When you consider this also includes an adapter, it's excellent value.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
well, talk about impulse buying!

Attachments

• 09-27-05_1754.jpg
    09-27-05_1754.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 91

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
steve_hill4 said:
That was fast.

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Thanks.

Fast indeed. I called the college bookstore to see if they had them, they did. That's a 5 minute drive from where I am. They only had the 2 gig white. I really wanted a 4 gig black, however, who knows when they'd be in stock. Plus, now I can afford AppleCare which I'll definitley be getting this time

d00kie

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
Any comments regarding the build quality of your nano? With all the recent complaints regarding the scratch-easy nano I'd like to see what you think.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
d00kie said:
Any comments regarding the build quality of your nano? With all the recent complaints regarding the scratch-easy nano I'd like to see what you think.

Seems fine. I havent done any real-world testing yet. Although the thing's so damn thin I worry my shrek-like hands are going to break it every time I pick it up

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
yg17 said:
Seems fine. I havent done any real-world testing yet. Although the thing's so damn thin I worry my shrek-like hands are going to break it every time I pick it up
May I suggest not doing any real orl "testing". I know you mean just everyday use, but the word testing always worries me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.