My iPod may have just deleted EVERYTHING on it...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mosstarkitteh, Jan 13, 2011.

1. mosstarkitteh macrumors newbie

Okay, so my ipod touch died like it normally did, and I charged it. When it woke up, the screen with the itunes sign and USB pic showed up, like when you first get an ipod touch. I plugged it into itunes, but it says I need to put the password in. The problem is, I can't because the "new" screen won't go away!! Also, the itunes on my PC has next to none of my songs because it was broken for a while, and to fix it everything had to be wiped, so the songs i bought vie ipod won't show up...It's a second gen. with 3rd gen software.
    HELP PLEASE? That thing has my life!

2. Drucifer macrumors regular

For starters you should always back up all the music you purchase from iTunes. I'm not one who purchases a lot of music through iTunes so I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure Apple only lets you download music and videos once. Applications from the App Store may be downloaded over and over as needed. Now it is possible that you can contact Apple and explain the issue because I have heard that they let customers redownload music as a 1 time exception under certain cases.

As for the actual device I'm not entirely sure. Have you tried connecting it to iTunes or are you avoiding doing so because you don't want to lose everything. You could probably change iTunes to sync manually then try connecting it.

3. mosstarkitteh thread starter macrumors newbie

You can buy songs twice...and I have plugged it into Itunes, but it says it's locked with a password (my ipod password)and can't detct it until I type in the password. but I can't change my ipod screen from the "restore" screen to do so. :\

4. lanulos macrumors regular

I think Apple has stopped using DRM for recent music downloads, so I would think they would let you re-download those.

Here is a procedure for dealing with an iPod stuck on the iTunes/USB screen:
    http://forums.ilounge.com/1393692-post4.html
    Hope it works for you.

5. mosstarkitteh thread starter macrumors newbie

It still won't work...whenever I plug the ipod in, a notice saying "itunes cannot connect to 'ipod touch' because it it locked with a passcode." Then it asks me to enter the passcode onto my ipod, but I can't because the restore screen won't go away! Before this happened, I was just using it as I normally did and it died like it normally did (out of battery)