My iPod Touch 4G still runs great on iOS6

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MartinAppleGuy, Jan 31, 2014.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I have a 4th Gen iPod Touch running iOS 6 and I just wanted to say that it runs great :) It stills runs almost every game fine (it plays Minecraft PE with Far render distance, smooth lighting, water animations, 3D clouds... without any frame drops, it plays dead space just fine [looks great too!], Real Racing 3, Mass Effect...) the only game that is bad is Modern Combat 3 which runs at ~15fps at a guess. Web browsing is very fluid (as fluid as my iPhone 5 when it was on iOS 6) as long as it is on mobile sites or basic desktop sites (in other words, not apple.com then ;) ), can run all stock apps (apart from the App Store, it usually eats all the ram) at once without it force closing any of them or even stuttering between switching apps.

Maybe I am not finding the experience so bad as other users because I usually only have 3-4 apps open at a time but still. I know there are apps now that wont run/would crash on the 4th Gen iPod but to be honest, I haven't came across one that I wanted to use but couldn't because of crashing.

Anyway, just wanted to tell my side of things :apple:

----------

And it is no where near as bad as iOS 5 on the original iPad.

2. touchipods macrumors regular

How much free RAM is available after you close all apps and restart the device? Would like to know after a restart with a system app. I assume you are running stock and not jailbroken.

So games never crash or become laggy for you? What about games such as Temple Run 2, Subway Surfer, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Infinity Blade II, GTA series, Six Guns and other demanding games?

Safari crashes often on desktop sites like operationsports.com? What about mobile such as nfl.com or msn.com? Also, even the App Store with that app only open (no background apps in multi-tasking) crashes frequently?

Am thinking of upgrading but if all iOS 6 does is crash and eat up RAM I will not.

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I find myself getting around 90Mb free RAM, I have found that an app can hold up to as much as 100-110Mb before a force-quit. The App Store used to crash on iOS 6.0.0 but it got fixed with either the 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 update along with sever fixes at Apple's end. Infinity Blade 2 runs fine, I have seen Vice City doesn't run well on the iPod 4G, but I'm not sure if it ran well on iOS6. For demanding apps, I usually have nothing else open and usually get good fps. Real Racing 3 runs great (almost as well as Real Racing 2!), it doesn't use the mirror effects but it still looks stunning on the 4th Gen iPod. There is the stutter when going back to the main menu from a race but during races (well apart from the odd start) the fps is buttery smooth.

The App Store runs smoothly, but is slow compared to an iPhone 5. When coming out of the App Store the animation is not as smooth as normal but the application is stable so I don't mind.

iOS 5 had a few issues too which have been taken away in iOS6 like keyboard lag, and when the slide to unlock becomes responsive. There is lag on desktop sites, but mobile sites run great.

To be honest, if you don't feel that the apps you wish to run on your iPod require iOS6, or the features of iOS6 over 5 are not that large, then don't upgrade. There would be no point.

----------

I can have all stock apps apart from the App Store open all at once without any being forced out of RAM. There was crashes on the older versions of iOS 6, but they have been fixed (the settings crash also happened on the iPhone 5).