My Ipod touch fails to power on

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AndyWo, May 30, 2010.

1. AndyWo macrumors newbie

I needed to turn my ipod touch off, so I went through the process to soft boot my ipod but when it was shutting down it froze so i had to hold down power + home in order to hard boot it. now it wont turn back on, when i go to turn it on the start up screen will show up with the apple logo but it won't go any further then that it will just power down. I can't put it back to factory default setting or anything it just gives me the apple logo for a good 5 minutes then shuts off. it wont even turn off if i plug it into itunes, any suggestions on what i can do to power it back on? or should i bring this to the apple store and hope it is not dead. and note my ipod touch is the 1st gen and has the latest software installed.

2. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I'd guess that it's probably dead, completely. It was probably just barely alive in its final days, and turning it off did something to kill it. A few questions...

Did you buy it from Apple or another retail store, or did you buy it from an individual?
    And did you notice it performing a little slower than usual, and locking up recently?

I got my first 2nd Gen Touch weeks after it came out, and I used it probably 8-10 hours every day for a year and a couple months. In its last couple weeks of use, I noticed it being significantly sluggish and I restored it a couple times to see if it would help. And I woke up one morning, popped my earphones in to listen to my morning podcasts, and hit my home button to turn it on. But it had died overnight, and it wouldn't come on. I tried to fix it over and over, in futility. I took it to the Apple store and had to trade it in to get a discount on a refurb.

3. AndyWo thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it for a Birthday present but yeah it came directly from an apple store, it has been running really slowly lately and i assumed that it was going to die soon