My iPod Touch is going to crap, solutions to issues?! HELP ME!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chrf097, Jan 9, 2012.

1. chrf097, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

(4th Gen) It got chipped somehow (I have never dropped or hit this thing before in my life, ever), and the Geniuses say that because they have to void my warranty. In April I'm getting an iPhone, but for now this POS has to survive. Can you provide any method (Settings, Jailbreak tweaks, ANYTHING!) to these following issues?

1) My iPod likes to think that I've hit buttons on my headphones even when I am sitting completely motionless. I know it's my iPod as it does not happen with my mom's iPhone 4 or my Mac. Anything to disable the iPod remote?

2) My iPod HATES my home button. Genius says that the screen is popping up so the home button is screwing up. Is there a way to get an out-of-the-way home button? Or maybe re-assign it to a different button, or button combos?

3) Is there a lightweight camera app I can use? The camera app takes too long to take pictures and sometimes refuses to open because my iPod just hates me.

PLEASE HELP BEFORE I SMASH THE POS TO PIECES WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER OUT OF FRUSTRATION!

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Wow - that thing has so many issues, sounds like smashing it with the sledgehammer might be your best bet.

3. stringent macrumors 6502

stringent

Try a restore. Will clean out your iPod of unwanted stuff which may be causing it to glitch. Set it up as a new iPod and install your Apps as you use/want them and see if that sorts the problem out.

4. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I agree with this. It may sound like a load of crap but a fresh restore can really clear a lot of glitches and increases performance by a noticeable amount.

With regards to the home button...

You can jailbreak (iOS 5.0.1 can be untethered jailbroken with the very latest redsn0w), and then use an app from Cydia called Activator. With this you'll be able to assign a gesture or a different button to act as the home button.

When the home button on my old iPod touch broke, I used a double-tap of the status bar as a replacement. I actually found this gesture more natural than the home button itself!

Good luck.

5. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

1) I don't know about sitting motionless, but my iPod touch would imagine controller input when pocket lint had built up in the headphone jack. Pulling out the little wad of lint stopped it messing around.

2),3) No help from me on these. A restore sounds like a reasonable start.

6. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

the issue is because of my hardware. it's dented. i'm currently at school on my kindle. i'll try a restore when I get home and repot back;The whole ordeal is making me go insane.