My iPod Touch makes me want an iPhone even more now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khryz, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Just picked up a 32GB iPod Touch yesterday and I must say I am so impressed with this I can't imagine how awesome the iPhone is. I don't even want to pick up my POS RAZR to make calls or texts I so just want to magically convert my iPod Touch into an iPhone and start using that.

It's tough though because AT&T has poor service where I live, where Verizon is the undisputed King of service. Waiting until 2010 for a Verizon supported iPhone is gonna be tough especially seeing what this iPod is like.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

That's the only reason why I even have an iPhone!:D I was so impressed with the touch, I had to get an iPhone. The iPhone is never going to be with Verizon, sorry to burst your bubble. :(

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Honestly, I wouldn't get your hopes too high for a Verizon compatible iPhone. Verizon uses a different network then the current iPhone. Apple would have to make a Verizon specific phone instead of just opening it up to Verizon. Also Apple tends to stick with their guns when they pick a format, they chose GSM, and will stick with it (especially with it being a global standard.)

4. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's what I keep hearing but I can always hope.

benflick I'm glad you felt the same way. I'm eventually going to have to follow in your footsteps soon. But there's no way I can get an iPhone until it's at least 32GB. At which point I'll sell my iPod Touch.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can almost guarantee that by the time a 32GB one comes out, you'll really need a 64GB iPhone.
    I'd love a 160GB one so I can get rid of my classic, but if they ever get that big, I'll probably "need" a 2TB one :D

6. aneftp macrumors 601

It's tough though because AT&T has poor service where I live, where Verizon is the undisputed King of service. Waiting until 2010 for a Verizon supported iPhone is gonna be tough especially seeing what this iPod is like.

Stick with Verizon if you are happy with their service. As great as the iPhone is, and I love it and I also like ATT; I could never recommend ATT/iPhone to anyone who is currently happy with their current cell phone provider. Reception matters the most with the phone carrier.

As for Verizon getting any iPhone in circa 2010, as the other poster mention, this is very doubtful. Apple will tend to stick to the GSM format. I only see Verizon getting iPhone near 2012 when they launch their 4G (LTE, which is backwards compatible with GSM technology)

7. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL. So true. I'd like a 1TB iPhone - imagine the size of that sucker?

I actually have T-Mobile now which has the worst service where I live, so I'm looking to switch providers as soon as I get a little extra cash. We'll see what happens though but thanks for all the help everyone.

8. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I bought the new Iphone after a year with my 16GB Ipod Touch. I loved that thing so much the thought of phone functionality just made it a no brainer. So I basically just waited for the 3G version which everyone knew was coming.

An amazing upgrade to be honest. This will sound silly but the first time I heard my music through the speaker kind of freaked me out. The Touch is a silent device without headphones so I just wasn't used to it. Although ATT and 3G are really good in my area.

9. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

While I don't necessarily agree:

"“Well, one’s a phone, and one’s not. The iPod Touch is training wheels for the iPhone." -Steve Jobs

10. DavidMc macrumors member

I have had a 32gb ipod Touch for the last year. It really made me want 1 device for everything but I didn't want an Edge phone. Upgraded to 2.0 and wanted an Iphone 3g. Tmobile Edge worked good in my house as well as Sprint (who we have for personal and now my work). Suncom we had many years ago before the Cingular buy out and now AT&T network. I had hoped they made improvements after all those years but it appears they have not. I get maybe 1 bar but seeing no service is not uncommon. It is only in my house though and we do have a house phone so it is a tough call. AT&T says we should have good coverage but my coverage doesn't match the description of good. If any of you know of CBN, Robertson's compound is in my backyard so I am sure his broadcast equipment plays a role. Trying to decide if bad reception at my house alone (so far anyway) is reason enough to return this great device.

Edit: Just asked the wife if selling and moving because my iPhone has no coverage is a crazy idea...She said no. So maybe that can be plan B

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have a touch and i was REALLY torn about getting an iphone or not

i decided it is nice to keep my phone and ipod seperate from each other and i dont really need the internet everywhere. i thought about when i used the internet and its always when im at home. when im out and about, the last thing i need is internet. also realized i rarely ever used my touch for internet usage

took me like 2 weeks literally to not give in to the iphone

crazy how easy it is to spend money on wants and not needs.........hence why im not surprised with people going bankrupt these days

live what you can afford. seriously, the iphone is 2x the cost of most phones as you have to pay 200-300 for the device and 30 more a month for data

to me not worth it. that was my thought process at least

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Damn that Steve Jobs! :D That's exactly how I got (willingly) reeled in. I bought a Touch first, stating that "I don't need the phone bit. My Sony Ericcson Cybershot p.o.s(thought it was cool at first), pre-iPhone is all I need."
    After loving the Touch, I wanted the web everywhere...

13. iViet macrumors member

Is it me, or do most of the members of this board live in bumfxxx eygpt? I live just south of Philly and I get full signals from sprint, nextel, verizon, t-mobile & AT&T. Yes, I've tried them all. Amazing how some members don't have great signals in Chicago and LA.

14. bigmouth macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch was what convinced me to take the plunge when they released iPhone 3G.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago

LTE is not backwards compatible with GSM, any more than it is backward compatible with EVDO.

It's a new air and backend protocol for everyone. (WiMax actually is far more compatible with LTE, due to using IP.)

16. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Just wait until 2015 when they release telepathy compatible iPhone that can be sync to all carriers!

17. packetjunkie macrumors regular

As others here, I started with a 32gb Touch and found myself sitting with my Blackjack next to it while doing cardio at the gym. I thought "wow, what if this was just an iPhone and I didnt need both?"

Just wanted for the 3g version and bought two as soon as I could.... but I still use the Touch at the gym.

18. motownflip macrumors regular

sold my 16gb touch. Bought a iphone. Just do it!

19. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Sold my 8GB touch for $240 just last week and ordered a 16GB 3G yesterday. :D

20. chomby1991 macrumors member

what id really like is a hard drive based one. quicker upload speeds and alot more storage. sure people scratch them but id never had scratch problems with the old ipod video. It would be great if they released a Iphone HD. it would definately sell. anyone agree?