My Ipod Touch sets off department store security.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jdpines, Jun 6, 2009.

1. jdpines macrumors newbie

When ever I enter or leave a department store that has one of those security systems my Ipod touch sets it off. Any suggestion on what I need to do. This is getting very embarrassing.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Most of the time you'd have to have one of those magnetic strips or stickers that would be causing that to happen. Some clothing lines actually have them sewed into clothing... sure you're not wearing something from an expensive or popular clothing store? (Old Navy, Abercrobie, AE come to mind...)

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've gone in and out of quite a few stores with my Touch in my pocket and never set one off.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Are you sure you aren't subconsciously stealing stuff? ;)

6. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Do you have case with a magnetic strap? Are sure its the touch setting it off?Have a friend put it in their pocket and walk through the sensor.

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Mine would set certain stores security devices off as well. However, now, it doesn't. Not sure what changed.

8. jdpines thread starter macrumors newbie

My daughter also carried the unit it and the beeping started so we know it is the unit it self. I will see if my wi fi is on and if so I will try turning it off. I'll let you know whether this helps.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 to the clothes thing!!!

I had no idea clothing companies did that and one pair of pants I had there was like a little pouch sewn in by the front zipper and another pair a strip was sewn into a piece of cloth that was attached to my inner pocket.

But ya sometimes electronics will just set those things off.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Some years ago I had an Olympus digital camera, and it would set off security alarms in stores. I learned to take the camera out of the bag and hold it in front of me when I walked in/out. this happened even when it wasn't on! sheesh.