Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jolshwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
My iPod Touch (32gb July 08) has started to think that the off button is always being held down and the off button has ceased to function normally. So it will turn itself on then off and keep repeating this process till the battery runs out. If I plug it in to the mains power it will turn on OK but as soon as I unplug it and it remains inactive for about five seconds it will turn off and the whole loop will start again. Its still in waranty but I am currently abroard and cant get to an apple store any suggestions?

nhyde

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Wisconsin
My iPod Touch (32gb July 08) has started to think that the off button is always being held down and the off button has ceased to function normally. So it will turn itself on then off and keep repeating this process till the battery runs out. If I plug it in to the mains power it will turn on OK but as soon as I unplug it and it remains inactive for about five seconds it will turn off and the whole loop will start again. Its still in waranty but I am currently abroard and cant get to an apple store any suggestions?

Seeing as you just bought it, take it to an Apple store.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Seeing as you just bought it, take it to an Apple store.
Wow, did you even read his post? That isn't an option and it was clearly stated that he CANNOT take it to an Apple store...

To the OP: if you go online and search for an authorized service provider near you (they're everywhere in the world), you can use your warranty there. AppleCare works worldwide, so there's not an issue with your warranty. I'm 99% certain that you have a hardware problem that you can't fix yourself. However, if you haven't already done so, try restoring just to make sure that it isn't an unlikely software glitch. If you're not near a service provider, you'll have to wait until you are able to get to one. Good luck.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I don't have an Apple store in my town, so when my 1st Touch failed I simply filled out a Service request (Start HERE) and within a few days they sent a pre-paid mailer with instuctions. I sent it to them, and within a week or so I had a new Touch shipped back to me.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

I'm sorry to hear that, I know you'll want to use your iPod but it may be best just waiting until you are able to take it to an Apple Store. It looks as if it has a serious problem, and I believe Apple does replace items that do things like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.