My ipod touch won't get any Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Skalderon, May 17, 2011.

1. Skalderon macrumors newbie

Hello, I recently got a iPod touch for free from a friend who just bought the iPod 4th Generation, so he let me have his old, I'm not sure which version it is..
    But it does have speakers, I restored it, and added my music to it, then I tried connecting to the wifi but it won't detect any network, I'm just about 10 feet away from the router, I got closer and still nothing, when I go to settings then to Wifi I can't choose it, it's just gray and says "No Wi-Fi", I tried downloading a Wi-Fi finder from iTunes and installed it from there, but that didn't work either.
    The iPod version is 4.2.1
    Can anyone help?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Ask him if the wifi was working for him whe he had it.

3. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

4. Skalderon thread starter macrumors newbie

@rgarjr He said it didn't..
    @supermac96 There isn't any on switch.

5. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

try restoring the ipod in itunes. If that doesn't work that means that the wifi chip inside must have failed and you will not get wifi. If your friend dropped it or got it wet this could have happened.

6. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Exactly, try restoring it in iTunes but if that doesn't work you don't have a working iPod Wifi then. The iPod Touch is still great for offline use music, games etc. just have to download them on the computer and sync them instead of downloading straight from the iPod.

8. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Haha yeah. If I was the OP, that's still a good deal though, they are useful for music and stuff offline.

9. Skalderon thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well, I can always sell it and buy the 4th Gen one,
    and it was a good deal. :p

Thanks anyways guys.

10. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

go to settings, choose wifi and you will se something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/31208034@N02/5635900616/

that switch at the top that says wifi and on is lit up blue is what you want it to look like. if right now it is gray and says off, tap it with your finger or slide it. This maybe way off from what the problem is but hope it helps.