My Ipod Went Though The Wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bobman9, Apr 12, 2010.

1. bobman9 macrumors newbie

my cousin dose laundry so i had a pile for him then i went swimming with him and we got out it was night by this time so i put on my pajamas and gave him my pile and the next morning i was looking for my pants with my ipod in the pocket but i could not find it and i heard a thumping in the dryer so i looked in there and i found it. :( i didn't know what to do so i tryed to turn it on but it would not work so i tryed blowdrying it on high so it would evaporate the water :( now i got home i put it in rice. :(

Will it survive?????????????????????????????? :confused:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you are doing the right steps

dont attempt to turn it on for like a week or more

hope it works but I wouldn't count on it tbh

3. DocStone macrumors regular

DocStone

This has happened to me too. You will never get apple to fix it due to the water seal inside it now messed with but mine did survive.

What I did was put it out to dry for about a week. I live in a humid area and that time was needed for it to completely dry. After about a week I fired it up and it worked. The screen was a bit messed up but it did clear up.

DO NOT TURN IT ON WHILE WET INSIDE!!! I can not stress this enough. Hopefully it will work for you. Mine did glitch every so often but so goes it.

Hope it works for you.

-DOC

4. Red-Five macrumors newbie

Let it sit for a few days submerged in rice. Say, a week. See if you can get your hands on silica gel packets. If it's still dead, you've got a paperweight on your hands.

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

You probably fried it by turning it on...

DON'T touch it for a week or so and keep it in a bag full of rice...it will help the water inside evaporate...

btw your warranty is gone...

6. bobman9 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Put it in a tupperware container with uncooked rice. Leave it there for a week and it will be fine. This will draw out the moisture and you will be fine.

8. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I almost lost my Nano in a massive Coke spill last week. Thankfully most of it got deflected around and didn't go in the ports.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Go ahead. More than a few days is enough.

10. "GeorgeE" macrumors newbie

this may seem a bit obsurd, but it has worked, on my friends ipod touch.

after you've been using the oven, stick the ipod in there for a little while, as the oven is cooling down. remember not to let the ipod melt. :D

this should heat up every part of the ipod and evaporate all the water. its worked once, so maybe it can work again.

11. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Not that I condone ripping off a fine company like Apple, but if it doesn't work anymore after all you did look at the Liquid Submersion Indicator in the headphone jack and if it's still white then bring it to the Apple Store and exchange it for a brand new one (or maybe a refurb) assuming it's under warranty or AppleCare. When they take exchanged iPods to refurbish them they only check the LSI, which is usually just checked by the Genius at the counter. When they crack it open to diagnose the problem and refurb it, if they discover water damage they don't call you or anything and say it's unfixable and that you need to give them their iPod back. The time it would take to do that usually isn't worth the money lost not being able to refurb an iPod.

If it's not under warranty, you could get a refurb Touch for a good price and exchange yours (once again only if the LSI is still white).

12. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

13. batesokc macrumors newbie

Positive Experience at Apple Store with Water Damaged Touch

Just thought I'd share my very positive experience at the Penn Square Mall Apple Store in Oklahoma City. Two days ago my 44oz soft drink cup sprang a leak when the straw was pushed through the bottom of the cup. The soda overflowed into the adjacent cup holder which happened to have my 3rd Gen iPod Touch 64GB in it. The touch was almost completely submerged for about 45 minutes. When I removed it you could hear sizzling inside the touch and it became very hot in one corner. It was toast and I knew it would not be covered under warranty. Not to mention the litmus paper now had a pink line.

I called Apple and they told me that since the original warranty was in effect that worst case scenario I could pay $199 and they'd either fix it or most likely give me a new one with my trade-in. Considering a new touch would be around $400 I went to the Apple store to pay my $200.

To my surprise the guy at the Genius Bar told me that Apple Stores can actually 'buy' broken touches that were damaged outside of warranty and just give me a new one. 10 minutes later and I was leaving with a new 64GB Touch even though I had ruined it in Diet Dr. Pepper.

When I asked the rep told me it is not widely known they can do this and its up to the rep. He said he did it because I told him I owned other Apple products, was friendly and courteous and didn't try and lie about the damage.

Here is what my receipt says.... "Proposed Resolution: Replace iPod as a one time exception, customer understands that should this iPod be liquid damaged, this isn't something that can be covered going forward."

All I have to say is that this made my day! Thanks Apple!!!!!

14. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Dude, it went through a cycle in the guy's washer. I think it's safe to say the liquid indicator was probably activated.

15. Haruhi macrumors regular

wow that is a slice of bad luck in a good cake!
    you wouldnht believ the things that happebn b7y accident wouyl;d you?
    i havent heard of rikdce. But if youj look on the internet I ams urje that that same cake has a few mo0re bad slices thatg others have eaten and tyou will ssee there are other kids with bad exresiences.
    Call apple I know ythey cna be a litkgtttle slow but its no big deal if ypoujs sit there for a while and smile like a tile. then say hey giuys my ip[od touchn went through the watch and i am sujre the whole apple customer service team will dropt heir telephones and starftg inquireing youj and they will be so pitiful!!!! sot aht is what you shoukld odk if it has beehn waiting a few days.

16. sbsargent macrumors newbie

How To Get Cash For Your Used/Broken iPod

Just letting everyone out there know, there is a site that I just sold my iPod on called iPod Swap Shop. I got a new 3G iPod Touch for my birthday and so I decided to sell my old one. I went to different sites like gazelle and nexworth and got the online quick quotes from each. Nexworth offered the least, then gazelle, and iPod Swap Shop offered the most. I think all of the companies will send you a free box, but I am not totally sure about Nexworth. The nice thing is that I didn't have to pay anything at all, and they sent me money to my PayPal account three days after I sent it back to them! If you are interested in selling your iPod, check out http://www.ipodswapshop.com - I was sure happy that I did.
    P.S. - I just checked and they even accept broken iPods that don't even turn on.