Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
At first I didn’t notice it but now, having traveled for four days and having used my new ipp5 a bit more, I realize how it’s constantly quite warm, to the point that I get sweaty hands from it. Very unpleasant and strange! Of course I’m on the latest update and I only twice saw the „will continue charging after cool down“ message, but this seems odd. Is it just normal expected behavior with this phone at this point? My 14 day period is over already..

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
If you are using it whilst charging and dependant on what you’re doing it will get warm/ hot.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
If you are using it whilst charging and dependant on what you’re doing it will get warm/ hot.
No this happens not while I’m charging. It’s also not really hot but it gets quite warm. I was sitting today and just texting and watching some videos in my photos, and it got really warm so you could feel it well through the case. I showed it to my friend who was sitting next to me with his Ip15pm and he was surprised too. His phone, while performing practically the same tasks, was cold.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Using WiFi or cellular?

Have you tried the simple restart to make sure nothing is stuck processing in the background?

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
I have a 15 pro now, upgraded from an 11 pro max. As soon as I put iOS 17 on the 11, it instantly began running hotter than it ever did. I'd say the 15 is on par with the 11. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but seeing how my 11pm also ran hotter after updating the OS, I think it has more to do with the software than the phone itself.

Reactions: Brandon42

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
For what it’s worth you can read out the thermal state of your phone with this app

While iOS doesn’t provide temperatures it does report 4 distinct thermal states that give an indication of the different throttling levels.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
At first I didn’t notice it but now, having traveled for four days and having used my new ipp5 a bit more, I realize how it’s constantly quite warm, to the point that I get sweaty hands from it. Very unpleasant and strange! Of course I’m on the latest update and I only twice saw the „will continue charging after cool down“ message, but this seems odd. Is it just normal expected behavior with this phone at this point? My 14 day period is over already..
What did Apple say? Or did you just come here first to troll?

My 15 PM has been consistently less warm than my 14P was.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Running videos are CPU intensive and will always make your phone get warm. It is how the iPhone sheds it's heat! It is it's only way of doing so.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
For what it’s worth you can read out the thermal state of your phone with this app

While iOS doesn’t provide temperatures it does report 4 distinct thermal states that give an indication of the different throttling levels.
Oh that’s interesting, thanks, will have a look!

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
What does Apple say? We have a software update to address this issue. What did you say to help me? Or did you just come here first to troll?
@Allen_Wentz what a useless comment. This has been a well documented issue.

My first 15PM was exhibiting the same type of behaviour, being warm/hot all the time- even when not being used. This was also true after the most recent update.

I returned the device and bought a new one, which is running far cooler.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Interestingly, now that I’m back home from my trip it feels normal again. This was all when under cellular network. Do you think it’s even worse going to Apple with this issue now that I’m out of the return period? Is it normal for the device to just heat up so much when using cellular!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.