Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddogeco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Heres what happened i lost my remote under the bed for a while and found it last night now it does work. While it was lost i upgraded to leopard from tiger. i read a few things on the apple sight about pointing it at isight to see if there a light when you press a button, and there was a light showing up.
so i tired re pairing the remote by holding menu and next for 5 seconds this did nothing.
i replaced the battery and still nothing

is there some trick im missing?
i would greatly appreciate any help

Billydelp4

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Ir

check under system preferences under security and see if IR shows up in there. If it doesn't then your I/O board is messed up. If you have apple care take it in or call them. they can usually replace that one in the store in a couple of minutes.

This is what happened with mine.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
check under system preferences under security and see if IR shows up in there. If it doesn't then your I/O board is messed up. If you have apple care take it in or call them. they can usually replace that one in the store in a couple of minutes.

This is what happened with mine.

Actually, you can disable the IR port via the control panel, it's a security feature! Which could be the cause... or the remote is dead. Anyway, before you yell fire, check it's not a deal remote first!! If it's less than 1 year old, Apple will replace it for free!

Billydelp4

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Actually, you can disable the IR port via the control panel, it's a security feature! Which could be the cause... or the remote is dead. Anyway, before you yell fire, check it's not a deal remote first!! If it's less than 1 year old, Apple will replace it for free!

Check out his original post. he said he checked the remote. :rolleyes:

Billy

maddogeco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
yeah i check the remote its still sending a light out. i checked the security settings and IR is active but i don't think its paired (although it was working before i went to leopard) if tried holding down lots of button combination's and pointing it at the black dot next to the screen release button. But still nothing

Billydelp4

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
yeah i check the remote its still sending a light out. i checked the security settings and IR is active but i don't think its paired (although it was working before i went to leopard) if tried holding down lots of button combination's and pointing it at the black dot next to the screen release button. But still nothing

But does the IR show up at all under security settings? If it does not then your IO board is acting up.

You can also check under system profiler to see if it appears under USB.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.