My ISP is being utterly idiotic... (rant)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leareth, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

SO here begins my rant.

My school had a conference a while back where the presenters and lectures were recorded. Now we are distributing the recordings- both movies and audio files via bittorrent because that is alot faster than the ftp servers we have. So I downloaded two of the lectures for my own use- since I missed them the first time around. I am still sharing all of them on another computer via bittorrent.
    My ISP sends me two threat emails this morning that because I am using bittorrent I am violating copyrights and they are going to cut my service.
    I have my mouth open. How can I be violating a copyright to something I (well, the school) technically hold the copyright to? who set them up on this or it is just a blank threat because I am using bittorent?
    and since when did they begin tracking what I download?

I pisses me off because I have download a bunch of stuff of Demonoid, broken stones etc. for years and not one peep , now I set up something completely legitimate and they do this ?

2. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

3. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

nope

I am still using it. :) :D :p

That is what ticks me off , they dont seem to notice the Demonoid usage but they notice the perfectly legitimate stuff??? :mad:

4. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

Aww man that sucks, I had my service cut off many of times with cox communications, and i blamed my open wireless connection and i didnt know how to setup wep or lock down my network and they told me to contact my router and they reinstated my service within five minutes :D social engineering is a genius }:D

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow thats disgusting. why cant they let us do what we want to do!!!!! its pathetic. luckily in my country nothing has been banned (as of yet(touch wood))

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

obviously they don't want to deal with legal issues stemming from your actions..plus they all cut corners when it comes to providing services..

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahahah yup mention the word "telstra" to an aussie and they'll explode. dont do it ;)

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

works everytime

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never really used BitTorrent, but due to my web hosting going off for a week I decided to seed my games and applications (that I built myself) via BitTorrent. Needless to say I got a warning too! Just doesn't make a bit of sense.

Maybe it's the act of creating and distrobuting a torrent itself that triggers the warning? If they can find that out...