My Issue installing the 1.1.4 Update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by porkchopbone, Feb 27, 2008.

1. porkchopbone macrumors member

Hi, I downloaded the 1.1.4 update, when I was prompted to DL the update I clicked the download & install box. When I woke up this morning I saw that it successfully downloaded however it didn't install. I unplugged my touch and plugged it back in and Itunes opened and asked me if I wanted to install the update so I clicked install and nothing happened. I tried it multiple times and everytime I clicked install its almost as my itunes would freeze. I had to get to work so I left it unresolved, just curious to know if anyone else had this problem or from my description, knows what the problem could be? Its a 16gb touch that has never been jailbroken & thus far I never had any problems with the touch or downloading/installing the previous updates. Thanks for your help!

2. jamsco macrumors newbie

hey yeah im having exactly the same problem , i was able to download the update but my ipod touch wont recognise it and states that it is an error.

anyone got any ideas what im doing wrong?

3. sgtboy macrumors 6502

4. Xenn0X macrumors regular

did you both jailbreak? might be you ended up with the iphone firmware on ya ipod if youused the first JB app.

5. porkchopbone thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, I have never Jailbroke my touch nor have I ever restored my iPod ( never needed to ) If I do restore it, I assume it goes back to 1.1.1? If so, what happens to my info such as apps, web apps, mail set up etc? Does it all come back when I re-download the update?

jamsco, what error are you getting? I don't get an error. Nothing happens when I click install.

6. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

No it'll be 1.1.4 now the update's out and I'm afraid that it's totally wiped so all the data and settings will be gone :/

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

iTunes saves backups periodically of your entire iPod touch's/iPhone's settings and preferences. If you restore, you should always choose 'Restore from backup' when iTunes prompts. This way all your data is re-loaded onto your device. Songs and media are automatically re-synced to the device after it re-appears in iTunes after the restore.

R-Fly

8. jamsco macrumors newbie

my ipod touch is standard, have not jailbroken it although did get the software upgrade. I get an unknown (1602) error popping up when it tries to send software to my ipod, then closes it down.

will i lose the software upgrade that i paid for if i restore?

9. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

No. The iPod January Software Update is saved onto your computer's hard drive when downloaded through iTunes. It lands in:

Mac
    ~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

or

PC
    ~/Program Files/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

As long as the file mentioned is in this location, iTunes will re-load the applications onto your iPod after a complete restore, every time, without fail.

If it's not there ... for some unknown reason, contact Apple, and make sure you state your iTunes account username. They'll be able to look back at your purchases, see you purchased the application package, and possibly offer to re-add it to your download queue in iTunes. Ready for download again.

EDIT: I too bought the update from iTunes, and I too have an un-jailbroken iPod. Your welcome :)

R-Fly

10. jamsco macrumors newbie

dam you guys are helpful!!

will give it a go, thanks very much.

11. jamsco macrumors newbie

mmm.. still having problems. When i asked itunes to restore my ipod it got to the point where it said 'prepairing ipod for restore' then got stuck and i got the same error stating it could not restore my ipod!!

i wonder what ive done?!

12. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok, have you tried forcing the ipod into Recovery mode?

1. Connect your iPod to your computer
    2. Hold both the Home button, and the sleep/wake button for at least 15 seconds.

Your iPod will reboot. Keep holding the buttons until you see the Apple logo. When you do, release the top button (sleep/wake button) BUT keep hold of the Home button (bottom button).

The iPod should boot into what Apple calls 'Recovery Mode' - This is shown by iTunes recognizing your iPod, as a new iPod. From this you should now be able to restore your iPod.

After the restore, the ipod will reappear in iTunes. If you wish for iTunes to restore your application settings and data from the previous backup it made, when itunes prompts, choose the option 'restore from backup'.

Also, don't worry if the jan update applications are not on the iPod after the restore, on your first sync with iTunes, iTunes will display 'Syncing Applications to [Name of iPod Here]' signifying that itunes is indeed re-syncing the Application update to the ipod.

Any other problems, or issues, just ask.

R-Fly

13. jamsco macrumors newbie

worked like a charm!!

now all i have to do is reload my music and im away.

Many thanks.

14. porkchopbone thread starter macrumors member

glad to see it worked for Jam. I am at work for another 2 hrs then I will go home & try. Hope its as easy as it sounds. Will post an update when I am done.

15. milszils macrumors member

wat if i put it in restore mode and it wont update though?

16. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Then I personally have no further solutions. Sorry :(

Maybe someone else can help you. Or maybe you can give your nearest Apple Store a call and get in with a Apple Genius?

R-Fly

17. dub45 macrumors newbie

Surely this is a case of a really really badly though out scheme?

Apple do not give any advance advice to the software purchasers that there may be issues around the retention of the softwared update after the firmware upgrade.

The successful retention of the software upgrade depends on being signed into the itunes store and having the reciept in the folder detailed above by razorianfly. Mine was in a different location: C:\Document and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications and it was only when I moved it to the other location that the upgrade worked.

I find it really objectionable that Apple expect you to sync the itouch for this process - I like manually managing my various files etc and the sync means I have to lose all this.

But the really badly thought out part is that Apple apparently have given no thought to the fact the people get new computers - that hard drives crash etc etc. Are those of us who purchased the software upgrade going to have to keep moving the receipt with us for ever and ever more? Totally absurd!

18. porkchopbone thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I just got home from work and before I did anything I clicked install to see if anything would happen and I got the 1602 error message for the 1st time. Anyways I then did what razorianfly mentioned above and it worked to perfection. 1.1.4 is installed and all my stuff is there as it was. Thanks everyone for your help & thanks again razor.