My issue with Apple and the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jan 17, 2011.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

So first and foremost I had used iPhoto to transfer my photos to iPhoto. I opted to delete all the videos and photos. Never had any issues before - however, this time around iTunes said that I still had 3.2G of photos still on my iPhone.

• I attempted to rebuild my iPhoto (apple/command + alt) library sync and then choose to not sync any photos - Did not work
    • I utilized image capture to see if any files could be located - Did not work
    • Did a hard reboot in hopes maybe it will rebuild the file system and properly display the actual space available - Did not work
    • Called Apple Support. Explained everything I did. They said I would need to possibly restore my iPhone back to factory setting. I argued that would be ridiculous concerning the fact that I have apps that have month and months of data and that a restore would erase all data associated with those apps even with a data backup. They wanted me to try the same thing I had already done, but needed me to use another phone and that they would call me back on that number in 2 minutes. They did not call me back.

So, what did I do? What any sensible individual would do who cared about his data - continue troubleshooting. So I sought the aid of third party solutions to access files not normally viewable.

What did I discover? Tons of random folders like Apple101 with a crap ton of files that were supposedly "deleted and removed" from my iPhone.

Gee wiz. Almost, anytime there is an issue with any Mac product Apple almost always recommends to their consumers "restore it." It just goes to show that not giving up pays off and that Apple has a lot to work out with its tech support.

Not only that - if Apple EVER wants to be taken seriously in the gaming/productivity department by users who still use handhelds and consoles or PCs... they need to figure out a way to allow app data to also be included in iTunes backup. Who in their right mind wants to do something on an app - buy, a new iPhone and potentially lose months if not years of data? I sure as hell don't.

So to my fellow Apple users - if you have problems with your iPhone - don't give up until you've exhausted every possible option. I love Apple - but, they have some growing to do in how app data is handled and their troubleshooting help. :apple:

2. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

You don't make backups? Shame on you. When you restore, you DON'T have to lose all your data and settings. Just saying...

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You are so totally wrong when you say that a restore would delete all of that app data if you backed up. Any changes made within an app are saved within that app and are backed up with iTunes. App backups are 90% of the reason people complain about slow syncing.

Your app data will be saved.

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Direct link from Apple:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

I attempted a backup restore once with my iPhone 3GS and it most certainly did not restore my app data and save settings. Take an RPG game for example...all data lost despite doing a backup on iTunes.

Maybe they changed it, but Apple sure as hell didn't validate that.

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I never said anything about NOT making backups. So, you jumped the gun on that one.

I always do a backup whenever I do a sync and etc.

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Actually, I stand corrected. My apologies - I guess there has been some changes since the last time I required to do a backup restore. Interesting.

Well, I am humble enough to admit when I am wrong. I was wrong.

However, Apple still didn't even bring up that option - so that still is quite unsettling.