My itunes keeps erasing everything whenever i restart the program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steven316, Mar 31, 2010.

1. steven316 macrumors newbie

Every time I close and re-open itunes it erases everything. I have to keep adding the itunes folder to itunes to get my music and most of my settings back. Why does it do this? How can I fix this. I am using the most current version of itunes

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

wow, that is interesting. I have never had this problem. You on Windows?

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

You've probably either moved the library files from their original location or you have a permission problem on the folder where your library files exist.

If you're on a Mac by default the needed files will be located in Users/You/Music/iTunes (there should be few folders in there including iTunes Library and iTunes Library.xml)

On Windows I think the default location is similar Users/You/My Music/iTunes (but I've never used iTunes on Windows, so I may be wrong about that).

If you have your music located somewhere other than your Music/iTunes folder you need to go to Preferences->Advanced and tell it where you music is stored.

4. steven316 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am actually using windows 7. It's so odd. Every time I close and then reopen the program, it looks like I've just downloaded itunes for the first time. I am using the default music path for itunes