My Itunes library on my friends mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kingebaneezer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. kingebaneezer macrumors newbie

I have an external hard drive with my iTunes library, but my mac is dead. I just bought a new Ipod Classic I would like to load with my library. How can I get all my stuff from the external onto the iPod on my roommates mac without screwing up his collection or adding all my stuff to his library.

Do I just need to change the directory in Itunes/preferences/advanced and then change it back to his original after my iPod is setup?
    I just want to make sure his iTunes is not cluttered with my massive collection. Don't want my roommate ticked off.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Have your friend create an account for you on his Mac. Do your stuff from that account, not his. In the Advanced tab of iTunes you can set the location of the iTunes Library. I'd suggest you uncheck the box that says "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library".

A.

3. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Hook up your external drive, quit iTunes, restart it holding the option key. This will let you choose the iTunes library on the drive. Then you can copy your music to your classic.

Remove your drive, restart iTunes holding the option key and point back to his library. Piece of cake.

4. kingebaneezer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Nunyabinez. That worked pretty well but it doesn't seem to picking up any of my audio books:( Any suggestions? I am importing them one by one now.