My iweb pages have a "D>" at the left hand corner

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chiefroastbeef, Aug 16, 2008.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hello folks,

I have a situation, any help would be great!

I made a website with iweb, things worked great, nothing went wrong until my failed attempt at inserting favicons onto my website via iTweak. All of a sudden the very top left corner of the browser displays "d>" or "d>d>". I immediately deleted the file that was on my idisk website file, and the problem was gone except for my blog pages: http://www.chinahandsunited.org/CHU...29_Rebekah_Kenote_-_After_the_Earthquake.html

Anybody have an idea why it still does that?

Thank you for any suggestions!

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

The culprit appears to be here:

A tag that the browser doesn't understand and is open, it seems like a miss type but it could be an object or action has tried to add something and its not complete, thats WYSIWYG for ya.

Not used iWeb in awhile so I'm not sure how you would go about removing that, since you can't really touch the code. Maybe someone else has a solution to that.

3. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

oohh, I also tried to use iTweak to put a favicon on the site. It never worked, and definitely screwed things up too. I deleted the favicon file from the website folder, not sure what else I can do...

Now that I think about it, I think it is actually the favicons through iTweak that gave me the D> . I don't think Google Analytics had to do with it, although I did both of the process at the same time.

Thanks for that catch! Anyone else have other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well you may have deleted the favicon but the code is still there, it seems like iTweak was the one that caused this problem since I haven't seen iWeb produce this kind of error.

From the looks of things I can't touch code in iTweak either, meaning that it could be stuck there. Tell me, does the option to use Favicon appear checked when using it with your iWeb site, if it does then you can simple turn the option off hopefully removing the code from the pages.

5. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really appreciate you helping me man, thank you.

I've unchecked the Favicon yesterday, and deleted the one file that itweak loaded to my website at idisk>site>CHU(my website).

I'll keep looking, there is not a single topic on this all over Google.

Thanks again man!

6. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've sent an email to the creator of itweak, hopefully he can straighten me out.

7. mac chick macrumors newbie

My iweb has a double d> at the top left corner

Like Senor chiefroastbeef, I too am having big issues with itweak and trying to install a favicon. I've now removed the favicon file from every page it appeared on but I still have this d>d> turning up. Can anyone help?

8. Mitou macrumors regular

I also have had problems with itweak and do not use it to put favicons. I use massReplace it to insert the code and I created an automator file to replace the image when I republish and the site is overwritten. I takes a couple of clicks to get it done, it is a bit of a pain but not too bad.

9. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

If you end up having to manually install the favicon, here's what you do (after exporting your iWeb source so you can edit):

1) FTP the favicon.ico to your server where you want it - suggest document root so you don't have to do #2
    2) If it's not in the document root, also add this line within the head area of your HTML (replace path with your absolute path):

HTML:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/path_to/favicon.ico" />
    -jim