My iWeb site doesn't have www. before it, and I cannot figure out why..

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by AdventurousJosh, Jan 26, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I hosted a website in Godaddy awhile back, www.example-akwoods.com.
    But for some reason once I set up godaddy and Iweb's forwarding, I can only get to the site by typing in "example-akwoods.com. You see, if I type in www.example-akwoods.com it doesn't work. Nothing comes up, page not found. I have to drop the www. and it drives me crazy! when signing up for godaddy, when it asked for the websites name, was I suppose to add in the "www."? It had the .com already there so I assumed it just needed the website title..that it would add the "www." by itself.

I can't figure it out!

Thanks...

2. DLH macrumors member

Website addresses do not have the "@" character in them. That's only used for e-mail addresses.

Why are you trying to use "example" in the website address?

This is typical: http://www.akwoods.com/ and seems to work correctly.

3. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I didn't mean to include "@", just giving example. btw, I had no idea akwoods was even a site!
    Okay, my website is akjosh.com
    I cannot get to my site by typing in www.akjosh.com - only akjosh.com.

See what I mean?

4. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

In you DNS Settings for your domain "akjosh.com" I believe you need to add the Host Name "www". Check with whoever hosts your Domain Name.

6. DLH macrumors member

Yes. It's a DNS problem.

akjosh.com resolves to an IP address and www.akjosh.com does not.

The easiest thing to do is add a "CNAME" record in the DNS manager at GoDaddy which points www.akjosh.com to akjosh.com.

I don't host sites with GD, so I can't give specifics on that. Have a look here: http://help.godaddy.com/article/681

Edit: Too slow!

7. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

same problem with godaddy

I am having the same problem. When I enter www before my website, it starts asking me about my username and password and when I enter just mydomainname.net it start working. Can someone help me understand this?

8. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Is it possible to have both settings working? I have the opposite problem:

When trying : mysite.com
    A "domain is parked in godaddy.com" landing site appears.

But when i try: www.mysite.com
    it properly loads my site. Id prefer without the www since people tend to ignore it nowadays.

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Go to the "Total DNS Control" part of your GoDaddy account and add a CNAME for "www" that points to web.me.com.

Attached Files:

10. annapolisjohn macrumors newbie

Reset Safari and try again.

11. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

No Go. I don't think this is a browser issue, unfortunately it happens both in Safari and Firefox.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

On the same "Total DNS Control" page I referenced above, try creating a CNAME for mysite.com and pointing it to web.me.com. Having both those CNAMES worked to make my site available on both the "www.mysite.com" and "mysite.com".

13. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Thanks a lot! It works now, I was a bit frustrated because at first it didn't seem to, but I just had to wait a bit.