My job sucks...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronchow, Jul 13, 2011.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

My boss gives me a long overdue 5% "raise" today, but since he didn't give me a Xmas bonus last year and this coming Xmas as well, so what I am actually getting is just a $68 raise. Woohoo...

But the best part is my job performance review. I work and accomplish a lot more when compared to my co-workers. And during my interview:

My boss: I decided to give you a 5% raise this year
    Me: Great. Thank you!
    My boss: But I originally decided to give you 8% and decided to deduct 3% off.
    Me: Is it something that I've done?
    My boss: Yes. You are very efficient, but sometimes you need to slow down.
    Me: So you deducted 3% off my raise because I work too fast?
    My boss: This isn't about working too fast. But sometimes you need to slow down.
    Me: ......

And the best part is that I find out my co-worker gets a 15% raise. But she is the type of person who wait until the last minute before she works, and sometimes she would spend an hour just to send an email out.

I love my job. Work less, more raise!

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

It sounds like your female coworker has a little more "pull" in the company.

3. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

One more thing (sorry, just need to get some heat off from me...), we need to submit a self evaluation for the merit raise. My co-worker, who gets 15% raise, basically wrote:

My strength is multitasking. But whenever I multitask, I can't finish my project on time. So my goal for next year is not to multitask.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Assuming you are an American, this is more common than one may think. ;)

5. mrbunglez macrumors regular

mrbunglez

6. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

and high heels. I like high heels...

7. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

She definitely has the "pull" as she has been working at my company for 10 years. But she is seriously outdated and neglect to learn. Her main responsibility is to create brochure and advertising materials. But she is still using Microsoft Publisher 2003, and her "final products" look like a page created by a 7 years old kid.

I studied in UI/UX, and sometimes I tried to give her some hints on how to design a layout so that it delivers the message better, but she said to me that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Actually she is a nice (and pretty) person, but I think she is not a good asset to the company...

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

In Manager speak, "you need to pay more attention to details" ;)

9. Waybo macrumors regular

Better a job that sucks, than no job at all! And a 3% pay raise is better than a 20% pay cut, like we had at my last job ... before the layoffs.

Actually, we went to a 4-day work week, with 4 days of pay ... although we were expected to accomplish the same amount of work. Several of us were "donating" time, to get our jobs done. And we were still laid off.

I'm sorry, but I can't feel sorry for you!

10. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

I have boobs but boobs or no boobs I won't be getting a payrise until the UK government gets a boot up it's butt and de freeze my pay!

K

11. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

Well, in that case, I feel much better now :p

12. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Tell your boss I'll take her job minus the recent 15% raise! Recent graphic design grad still looking for a design job :cool:

I know how it goes with not getting paid what you think you rightfully deserve. It just blows.

Job #1, I work my ass off and am the best at my job on my shift and yet I make 40% less than people that have been there longer who do 20% my work.

Job #2, co-worker can't afford school because they won't make him full-time even though the store would fall to pieces because the manager/asst. manager can't keep things straight.

13. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I haven't gotten a raise for a few years and the CEO of the company told me that I am overpaid for what I do.

Always remember that things can be worse. :D

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

bingo right there.

But I would say your boss is an ass. Saying you were going to get 8% then reducing it by 3% is unprofessional and stupid thing for you him to do.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You're boss is an under-achiever, and prefers to surround "himself" with same.

He settles for sub-standard art work, and wants to "slow you down".

Never make your boss look bad to his bosses. ;)

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is the post I find myself in most agreement with. A self-confident boss will surround him or herself with strong, talented people, will support them, and, above all, will not feel threatened by them.

Actually, gender is not the real issue here, rather it is poor management and leadership skills, office-speak and similar mindless mangling of language, notwithstanding. The fact that the boss can cheerfully patronise, feel superior to, and clearly, not feel threatened by, the female co-worker, (who is clever enough to play up to him), is what matters. It is not a good idea to be more talented (and show this) than an insecure boss.

In this instance, gender is an irrelevance; it could be anything (class, gender, school college or university attended, actual qualification) which serves to act as a badge of difference between you and the other, less talented, individual who is recognised and rewarded in your company. Far more important, to my mind, is the sycophantic atmosphere towards management cultivated in many work places, where unquestioning sycophancy, suspending your intellect and acting like an idiot seems to generate rewards, and offering critical and independent perspectives gives rise to unease.

To the OP, yes, I've been there my friend, and frankly, blaming boobs is a superficial reading of power dynamics and imbalances........

Cheers

17. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I started as an intern at a company last week, so I'm obviously not expecting great pay. (Actually, it is great seeing as how I'm still in high school)

The other person that I was working with on this project was doing a quarter of the work I was doing, and I was still finishing it faster, and more effectively. But yet, she gets paid more. Eh, not complaining at all, I get a lot more than other people my age, it's a corporate job, and I get experience for colleges/resume. :D. Plus..I get to browse MR while there (Like I am right now)

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A 5% raise is actually not bad. While the dollar amount is not much, the percentage is something many would hope for. Your boss was wrong in telling you that he knocked off 3% because you work too fast. My guess is he said something else but we're only getting your emotionally charged story. As fehhkk said, what your boss was telling you is that you working fast may look real good but you need to slow down and pay more attention to the details of your job. Working fast can lead to total failure if you're missing key elements.

I'm not going to say "at least you have a job." First, I think that people that say that need to be punched in the junk. Having a job does not mean you should never be able to have some discontent for said job. Likewise, by now if you don't know that a job and a 5% raise is better than many are getting today then you likely don't deserve your job. People that tell me "at least you have a job" (these people are usually employed) are basically just rubbing my nose in my **** telling me I did something wrong.

Based on your post I gather you may be a little bit young in the workforce. One thing you really need to do is avoid talking about co-worker's pay and their raises. It is inappropriate and unprofessional. One day you may use the co-worker's raise and pay as your defense and rub someone real wrong. Discussing your pay with your boss is fine, discussing other people's pay and raises with your boss (and your boss discussing them with you) is extremely wrong unless you are their lead and you ultimately control their pay.

Whatever your co-worker put on her self-evaluation should be between her and her boss. If your boss told you this then I would report him to HR. The reason being is that if he tells you about her then he is telling her about you. You cannot pit employees against one another and expect them to be productive. I know this because there was a shift in leadership and I got a new boss. Younger than me and eager to move up more than anyone I had ever met. She learned of my pay and splashed it around various people in the company. This created contention that almost a year later I still have to deal with. My raise, btw, was far far less than yours (but greater than zero). The point is, you cannot and should not discuss pay, performance, and raises with your boss unless they pertain to you. Why not, you may ask? Because it does exactly what you're doing now, creates contention.

Pick your head up, appreciate the 5%, and make goals for yourself that will get you to where you want to go. The woman who has 10 years in the company is not likely respected just because her tits, she has dedicated 10 years of her life to the company and it is only your personal assessment (that appears emotionally charged) that she is outdated and unteachable. Show her a bit more respect as a co-worker because after you spend 10 years in a company you will likely command similar respect.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'm not saying go in and tell your boss to f-off and walk out today, but if you hate it so much why not try to do something about it?

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Eh-hem...the term a political science major would use is "spheres of influence.";)

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Good post Jessica. I agree with your analysis regarding office politics and the importance of boundaries. People would be a lot more happy and productive if they would just focus on their own work, their own compensation, and their own career. We rarely ever fully know the details of someone else's circumstances and it's not our place to get involved or gossip about it. Sure, if there's obvious abuse or ethics violations then report them appropriately, but otherwise don't waste your energy focusing on things you can't control or stirring up office stuff. If people are taking advantage of a situation or not making the best work/management decisions then over time these things will come to light and be rectified.

OP, if you were just coming here to vent then cool I understand, but don't give in to the temptation to "stir the pot" with your coworkers.

22. ShamrockSolace macrumors member

I would take 5%. Got 3% last year. The two years 0% due to economy.

But who ever thinks they have enough. One of the hardest things to ever do is learning to be content. One thing I desperately want to do.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Start looking for a new job. You don't owe those clowns anything. Your job is for you to make money, and nothing more. Find a better and higher paying one and then tell your boss to go **** himself.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

agreed.....if a boss tells you that he reduced your raise, then he's telling you you aren't doing your job to his satisfaction.......or that he doesn't like you personally :p

agreed......I suspect that it's time for the OP to move on

25. ShamrockSolace macrumors member

From follow you on "other threads". Especially the "Tipping/Spring1" one. I understand that you are in a University and have a service job, tipping.

Take or leave my advise that I recently heard. When someone wants to hire you for a spot in their business. Do you think they("The Employer") are interest in someone just wanting to filling their own pockets with employers money, or someone that is willing to work hard and to make the employer rich?
    Take or leave it. Thought there was wisdom for the other side of the coin.

If I was told I lost money for unreasonable expectations. I would not be fit to talk with for a bit of time. I just mentioned this for the overall theme that seemed to be echoed in your message.