My Journey to the almighty 11.6" Ultimate...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dannyar, Nov 1, 2010.

1. dannyar macrumors 6502

Well, some of you may have followed my thread about not wanting to open my base 11.6 and how dissapointed I was blah blah, long story short I wanted more power storage and RAM and didnt wanna wait for the BTO Online. Heres my quest on how I wound up with the Ultimate 11.6" Model.

After buying the base 11.6 i immediately regretted my decision to not go with more ram and storage to elongate the life of it. I didnt want to wait for the BTO and was upset with the value i was getting for 999. Decided i was gonna go with an Alienware m11x for gaming and portability. After holding one in person, theres no way i was gonna be able to go away from the size of that Air.

Decided I needed to keep the air but needed more power. It was a pretty decent gaming machine, ran team fortress 2, L4D and more at max settings max resolution between 30-40 FPS with some drops.

Didnt have the money for a 1400 max 11.6 so i had to do something. Sold my mac mini HTPC which i never use for 500 on amazon, sold Wii for 100, sold various other items and video games for combined 150. So 750$ just like that in my pocket. Figured i wouldnt need such a high capacity iPad anymore so sold my 64gb Wifi for 650$ then bought 16gb Wifi for 450$. 200$ more in my pocket. Im up tp $950 and now were ready to shell out some of my own money to get the Ultimate now that i found out they have them in store and dont have to wait

1399 plus tax, but i walk out of the store for $1422 with my government
    discount. I get the 4GB ram i desperately need, the 128 SSD I want and a nice little 15-20% bump up to 1.6 vs 1.4. SHould perform better with gaming with the added speed and RAM as well. Apple sucked me in with this little beautiful machine and I will cherish it for the next 2-3 years. Or until a better REV B comes out;)

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

or until the new MBP comes out in a few months.

Then everyone will be jumping ship again ....

3. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Wow, now that's commitment! Though the m11x would be better overall for gaming, with the MBA you won't have to worry about hinge and driver issues.

4. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

Im gonna pound this puppy with gaming benchmarks and see how it takes it. It didnt fair to far behind the m11x from tests i studied so we will see. Overall, im gonna love it. I dont see myself jumping on a MBP unless they come out with a MBP Air 11.6 with the specs of a MBP.

5. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

What games are you planning on throwing at it?

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'm hoping my 1.6hghz 4GB 11" MBA can run TERA ;)

7. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

planning on testing out some more Team fortress 2, left 4 dead and l4d2, counter strike source. More to come.

8. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

9. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Portability wise, the Air is awesome. However if I was forced to choose between the two I would definitely choose my M11x. It's a beast.

10. opera57 macrumors 6502

Awesome :) I've got the 13" previous gen (2.13) but the prospect of a 11.6" is very very tempting! [​IMG]

11. w00tini macrumors 6502a

I'm blown away (happy!) to hear so many MBA users are gamers. This is awesome news. I'm going to download a few games via Blizzard and Steam soon to check them out on my Ultimate 11". I don't expect a desktop experience, but RTS titles and the like are going to be a lot of fun on this little bugger from time to time.

12. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

So far so good, im able to increase to max settings on Team fortress 2 where before with 2 gigs i would have to leave textures on medium. Getting 30-45 frames with dips down only to 20.

Left 4 dead also runs at max settings and resolution except for shaders at high instead of very high. Also great frames. Looks like a nice little workhorse