My Keynote 08 presentation was ruined by VGA

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kainjow, Sep 24, 2007.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

So I prepared a nice presentation over the weekend for my speech class using Keynote 08. I come in today and go to present it with my MacBook (and remote), using a mini-VGA adapter. Well to my surprise the colors go all whack on the screen (not too bad) and then video is shifted to the left, partially off screen. So I continue, but throughout the presentation the projector's screen kept going off and on, while the MacBook's display stayed on the entire time (I was running on battery - maybe that had something to do with it).

Anyways, kind of disappointing because I had some sweet animations that were contextually appropriate for each slide, and I wanted them to show clearly. But it wasn't too bad, since the professor commented on how she liked Color Planes, and I got an A :)

I think I need to fix the problem before my next speech. Anyone have ideas as to how I could make it better? Or am I doomed because the projector isn't 100% compatible with the Mac? :(

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

What kind of projector is it? In my experience, this usually has less to do with the computer your using or what connection type but more with the quality of the projector. I used to use this terrible InFocus with my iBook that would mangle the picture and ruin the colours. Since it was replaced I've never had an issue.

I always run my presentation off battery and it has never been an issue. I use my VGA adapter with my MacBook for presentations and it usually isn't a problem either. One problem I had with my iBook was when the VGA adapter crapped out. It started displaying the picture as blue/red/yellow and blinking. I replaced it with a new one and the problem was gone forever. :)

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There's nothing wrong with your MacBook. My old professor used his with the same connection with no problem. Let me tell you, he sold a lot of Mac's because everyone loved what they saw. The projector wasn't a POS though.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it is not vga that caused the problem so do not blame it. It was the projector and it would of happen even if you where using DVI.

5. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I made a keynote math project last year

I knew I had to present it on a crap old pc computer so I exported it in a bunch of formats.

Quicktime, powerpoint and pdf

turned out that only the pdfs would work and it was horrible.

you couldn't see any transitions or the graph paper background.

w/e I still got 100% but so did everyone.

6. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

How can you say it's the projector? Everyone else used a normal PPT on a PC laptop, and the PC worked fine. I've actually never seen any professors have problems with these projectors. Only on the Mac does it not work, so I would have to conclude it's a) the Mac or b) the mini-VGA adapter.

I guess I could always export it to a QuickTime movie, partition the drive and install Windows, and then play back the movie in full screen :p

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

In that case, you might want to try a different adapter and see if you get better results. Like I said, the adapter that came with my iBook died early in its life. I actually know of a few other Apple adapters that didn't last long, certainly worth a look.

8. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I think I will have to try this - hopefully Apple will let me return the (new) adapter if I find the adapter is not at fault :cool:

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If you're buying it from the Apple Store I believe the 14 day return policy is in effect regardless of what product you purchase.

I've returned a number of adapters to various Future Shop, Best Buy and London Drugs stores too. (being a strong believer of buy and then try) ;)