My last day to decide (Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Bugeyeblue, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I've had the galaxy s4 for a day short of two weeks. I have to either return the galaxy today or keep it and sell the iphone 5. Has anyone else been faced with this decision? I just can't decide. I know it's all about personal preference, and what works best for me, but they both work great for me in different ways. Anyone have any outweighing factors that kept them going one way or the other on this particular decision?

2. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Do you need the money?

Then make a table with pros and cons of both, and assign a weight to each based on YOUR own preference with what you do with it..

The device with the higher overall score should be the one you keep.

If money is a non-issue (i wish that was true for me lol), then keep both?

3. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

I would say the only one that can make that decision is you. I wish it were affordable to keep two phones, because they both have merits and drawbacks. I have an iPhone 4S and have been debating what to do when I become eligible for a new phone in two weeks. I'll likely wait to see what the next iPhone has in store for us, but have been leaning towards Android and either the GS4 or HTC One. I'll miss things like iMessage and easy syncing with iTunes, but there are alternatives for both of those things. It's the same way I felt when I left my BlackBerry behind for the iPhone....I was worried about giving up BBM. I think you should consider what you've missed about iOS for the past two weeks and decide if you can live without those features permanently. Do the benefits of an open OS outweigh those things for you? Nobody else can really tell you that.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I got to the point that I was so tired of Apple and their "walled garden" that I sold my iPhone 4s on CL and walked into an AT&T store the next day to buy the HTC One based solely on reviews.

I kind of miss Airplay and iMessage, but I still have an iPad for times that I NEED those things.

5. iCole macrumors regular

Go for the S4. More value for money. iPhone 5 is cool, but the S4 is much more compelling, has more features, bigger screen, more options, ...

6. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I had a similar decision between my iPhone 5 and S3, both superb phones, I just enjoyed using the S3 more, so that is the one I kept. :)

7. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I'm trying to decide between the S4 and HTC One myself... what size S4 do you have? I'm struggling with the fact that the S4 on T-Mobile really only comes with about 8 GB of internal storage which isn't much for apps. I love the camera's features on the S4!

8. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

so you are asking a bunch of strangers which phone is best for you? :confused: i'd say stay with the GS4 more fun :)

I have 3 phones, all active, GN2, GS3, and the Iphone

9. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I have the Verizon 16gb model. I still have about 5gh left after installing all the apps I wanted. I don't mind the missing memory.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep 'em coming. I need to decide by about 5pm today.

----------

Yes. Thanks.

10. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Did you try comparing them like i said?

11. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Not yet, busy with the kids this morning. I'll do that though. It'll be easier to see what I like more on paper. I do want to get rid of one of the phones though. They're worth too much to just sit on 2.

12. eggas macrumors newbie

Try also thinking about this from the future perspective. I mean how much has android improved and innovated in the past 2 years compared to iOS change in 2 years? Android has become really fluent, cool, customizable (always been though :D ) iOS hasn't really changed to be honest.

I was serious iOS fan, had iphone 4 and 4S. I changed to galaxy s4 2 weeks ago and haven't missed anything (except tap the clock for top and photostreaming to my macbook. I love my s4 ( & android). So yes, I would say go with s4, it will pay off in the long run (especially in the future).

The next android version will propably be really cool and iOS7...well..propably not that cool except some visual improvements (flatter design). The iphone 5 is a really good phone too but keep the s4. :D I think we will see really cool features with next android (4.3) so I bet you would feel bummed if you choose iphone 5, iOS7 will propably be disappointing (maybe not as much as iOS6)

13. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I say stick with the iPhone until wwdc next week and see what iOS 7 has and make a decision then. It would suck to sell your iPhone only to find out they're releasing a new feature that would work great for you.

15. Dontazemebro, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

You'll be surprised, 8 gigs is plenty for apps. App sizes are comparatively small as opposed to ios and all your big GB downloads for games saves to your SD card and not your phones internal storage. Hell, you'll be hard pressed to find any app over 150mb in size.

Now movies & music is another thing

Edit - except for most of the Gameloft games, those go to internal.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Maybe listing the different ways each is better and worse than the other here, or even just in your head, will get you to the conclusion you are seeking. I know people that loved many things about the S4 over the 5, yet iMessage is what kept them with iOS. Yes, iMessage outweighed everything else they thought was better about the S4. I find that sitting down and making a list, as silly as that sounds, can sometimes be helpful in making a decision like this.

17. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

This is what I was considering doing, and maybe the OP should consider it. (If you can afford to do so) Get an ipad or ipod touch for your current IOS apps and music etc. And keep the S4 for everything else. Personally me, I am thinking of doing the ipad/s4 setup. That way I have the best of both worlds.

18. luked14 macrumors 6502

I currently have an iPhone 5 and went to an AT&T store to test out both the GS4 and HTC One.

I really like some of the features of the GS4 and the screen size is great, but the actual quality of the display was pretty bad. The max brightness was much dimmer than the iPhone 5 or HTC One and the color temperature was extremely warm. From what I researched, there's not a way change the color temperature.

If I were you, I'd stick with the iPhone 5 and wait to see what iOS 7 is like.

Or pick up the HTC One.

19. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

No HTC one for Verizon.

20. TheShadowXX macrumors regular

only you can decide what suits your needs.

also, your posting in the "Alternatives to IOS and IOS Devices" section. What do you think we're gonna say? lol :rolleyes:

21. jeffe macrumors 6502a

Slightly off topic but dropbox app might be a suitable app for you to automatically send photos to your macbook.

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

End of summer, it's coming soon.

23. strausd macrumors 68030

24. rockitdog macrumors 68020

25. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Working on it right now. I think I'm going to take back the s4 and use the iphone 5 for now. It'll reset my upgrade eligibility so I can get something else whenever I want with no restocking fees since I bought it at best buy. Maybe buy whatever the next best android thing is. Maybe the htc one if it comes to Verizon. Maybe the note 3. Maybe the iphone 5s (...name is unknown for sure, obviously).