Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
currently trying to sell mine on ebay. Hopefully it sells.

----------

Feel the same way. I love my 30" ACD. I wished Apple never discontinued them.
So hopefully they will bring it back with a 4k res sometime in the near future.

feel the same as well .. have two 30s .. currently selling one of them and keeping my mint one. Will never give it up unless apple releases a 32" matte 4k display:D

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
Sold my last Mac Pro, a 2008 8-core, last year. Landed a huge project and bought the bottom 2012 12-core. In anticipation of the 2013 announcement I sold it at the end of the project. Used some profits to buy a 16-core z820 that has been fast and amazing. That is that.

Driving to San Antonio tomorrow to buy a 2009 2.26 8-core to flash and upgrade. AHHHHHHHHHHHH..... that's better.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Owned 4 Mac Towers since 1998 for pro audio... 9600, G4?, G5, Nehalem Quad...

Bought first imac a month ago... this vs the nMP Quad - very little difference...

I do miss having internal storage though...

Garamond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
And seeing the new Mac Pro getting squashed by the top specced iMac 3.5 GHz in many tests is just another proof I did the right choice :)

Loving my new rig! :eek:

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
So the day finally came, sent my Mac Pro 5,1 out the door today. Got a decent price and it feels the right thing to do now.

Ordered a maxed-out iMac thursday (the new upgraded version), delivery will be between 16th and 18th of October.

I've owned 4 MBP's, two minis, one Air, one MP and ONE iMac. Guess which one I sold? Nothing against your purchase but I hate the iMac. Impossible to get inside, your stuck with the monitor and frankly it's not remarkably better than the MBP's. Or, if you BTO like crazy your $300 shy of a MP! I'd never get rid of my 2009 quad MP, it's happily serving up BootCamp.

I don't see where you say why you did this, but I do have trouble understanding why you would trade in for a less upgradable computer than the nMP, which was probably only about $300 cheaper.

----------

And seeing the new Mac Pro getting squashed by the top specced iMac 3.5 GHz in many tests is just another proof I did the right choice :)

That's good, but those benchmarks prove nothing, and are nothing new. If you had done your homework you would have expected those results for some time now. Study this.

http://www.marco.org/2013/11/26/new-mac-pro-cpus

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
I've owned 4 MBP's, two minis, one Air, one MP and ONE iMac. Guess which one I sold? Nothing against your purchase but I hate the iMac. Impossible to get inside, your stuck with the monitor and frankly it's not remarkably better than the MBP's. Or, if you BTO like crazy your $300 shy of a MP! I'd never get rid of my 2009 quad MP, it's happily serving up BootCamp.

I don't see where you say why you did this, but I do have trouble understanding why you would trade in for a less upgradable computer than the nMP, which was probably only about $300 cheaper.

----------

That's good, but those benchmarks prove nothing, and are nothing new. If you had done your homework you would have expected those results for some time now. Study this.

Same exact reason I switched over to MP from an iMac. Very Happy.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

The article comes to the conclusion that the Mac Pro is becoming an increasingly specialized machine. A conclusion I agree with, and also explains why some former Mac Pro users are spilling over into the iMac camp. Like those in this thread.

So, what point are you trying to make with that article, anyhow?

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
So, what point are you trying to make with that article, anyhow?

The statement was that the i7 beats the nMP in single core, missing that this is true only for a time. After a bit it has to throttle down due to thermal limits where the MP keeps going. I believe it's also only true steady state, after turbo has kicked in.

My newer CPUs are faster than my 2009 quad core for transcoding but for general use the MP is still faster. So, my point is that it is more complex than simple benchmarks

The article comes to the conclusion that the Mac Pro is becoming an increasingly specialized machine. A conclusion I agree with, and also explains why some former Mac Pro users are spilling over into the iMac camp. Like those in this thread.

The MP was always specialized, nothing new there.

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
Yea I've been torn about the whole thing. Based on some testing, this 2009 MP gets beat by the maxed out iMac sometimes and other times not. The real setback here is the I/O on the Mac Pro. If I drop USB3 card in here I'll give it some new life, and a new GPU at some point, plus SSD, but you're talking about spending another $800 or so for all that. Not sure it's worth it.

Either way I've tried to be more conscious of what I need and don't need. Working in 1080p/2k primarily still, I can work on this machine with current specs and FW800 until it dies on me without it hurting my business. With that in mind I'm trying not to spend a dime lol. But man is it tempting!

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Now that the MacPro 1,1 and 2,1 can install Mavericks fairly easily with Tiamo's boot.efi, do any of you guys regret selling your Pros for iMacs?

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003

Umm... sure... just run Geekbench and tell yourself that 12 times a day. The folks with MacPros have work to do. :rolleyes:

----------

Now that the MacPro 1,1 and 2,1 can install Mavericks fairly easily with Tiamo's boot.efi, do any of you guys regret selling your Pros for iMacs?

A 1,1 is still 7 frigging years old, with and outdated memory bus, slower IO features, and slower SATA.

A new iMac will be better, but a nMP will be better still, depending on what you are doing on it.

Now if you were on a 2010 cMP, then it might be worth the upgrade.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The statement was that the i7 beats the nMP in single core, missing that this is true only for a time. After a bit it has to throttle down due to thermal limits where the MP keeps going. I believe it's also only true steady state, after turbo has kicked in.

First: An assertion made by a developer is not an argument, especially one without data. A mistake I see there is that TDP isn't a cut and dry thing. Just because 3/4ths of my cores are idle doesn't mean I can ramp up the remaining core to eat up all that thermal capacity that the other cores leave behind. Other effects limit how much I can boost. Intel's designs have to account for scenarios that aren't very real world, mostly so that the chips can't fail under unexpected loads.

Second: While we can discuss things like an ideal single-threaded load that saturates a CPU core, no such thing exists. So talking about "on paper" results regarding TDP does us no good when you want to say that synthetic benchmarks are not a real measure. By that logic, napkin math using ideal loads and TDP isn't a real measure either. What is interesting that even the synthetic benchmarks for single threaded can't really produce enough thermal load to trigger throttling on the iMac. Hell, it can't even spin up the fans.

I will note that I do expect the Quad Mac Pro to have a slight edge, even in single core. But the key word here is "slight". And in the end, that edge may not even factor in when you are buying for the home office.

If you are looking at primarily single-threaded workflows, you are not likely to be pushing loads that saturate that single core anymore. Heavy loads are becoming more parallel as time goes on, but remain surprisingly niche. So if you aren't pushing parallel processing in your workflows, aren't pushing OpenCL, why are you paying extra for the Mac Pro? The cost/benefit ratio is pretty terrible there.

My newer CPUs are faster than my 2009 quad core for transcoding but for general use the MP is still faster. So, my point is that it is more complex than simple benchmarks

You have to define general use here. Is it multithreaded or not? Is it burning 100% of at least one core most/all of the time? What other hardware/software differences are at play (SSD, GPU, background apps)? Your own argument seems to indicate that the Mac Pro's benefits appear in certain scenarios, so to have you suddenly suggest it is in general use as well is a little contradictory.

And yes, it is more complex than simple benchmarks, but the reality is that the Core chips are capable enough that jumping to a Mac Pro for some more demanding workloads is no longer a no-brainer like it was 4-5 years ago.

The MP was always specialized, nothing new there.

Which ignores the key word here "more". They are becoming more specialized as time goes on, meaning their niche is shrinking in the face of more capable CPUs in the Core line, high costs, and higher-speed connections that make it possible to run more drives externally without taking on a performance cost.

I could justify a 2008 Mac Pro when it came out for my workflow, but in 2013, the picture is quite different for the same workflow. That's why one little word can be so important.

----------

Yea I've been torn about the whole thing. Based on some testing, this 2009 MP gets beat by the maxed out iMac sometimes and other times not. The real setback here is the I/O on the Mac Pro. If I drop USB3 card in here I'll give it some new life, and a new GPU at some point, plus SSD, but you're talking about spending another $800 or so for all that. Not sure it's worth it.

Either way I've tried to be more conscious of what I need and don't need. Working in 1080p/2k primarily still, I can work on this machine with current specs and FW800 until it dies on me without it hurting my business. With that in mind I'm trying not to spend a dime lol. But man is it tempting!

If you work with external drives often enough, and the PCIe cards are fast enough, USB3 could still be a worthwhile upgrade for the price.

But I wouldn't pass on an SSD upgrade. Drives can always be repurposed later in some way or another, and you can get the benefit now and later. My Mac Pro at the office doesn't have an SSD, and I'm made painfully aware of that fact every day as I work. Actually, since I still have an old Intel 80GB SSD floating around, I'm kinda tempted to install that at work and make it my OS drive. Hmm....

Garamond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
I think this article pretty much nails it:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2082578/opinion-the-new-mac-pro-makes-the-imac-the-power-users-desktop.html

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Sold my 2008 mac pro to fund building a dual 2.93 westmere system for less than an equivelant mac pro. Haven't looked back. Linux and Win7 running just fine. The new mac pro in interesting but without at least 2 internal storage bays (1 OS, 1 scratch), will wait to see if apple fixes that next year. Like my internal storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.