My late 08 uMBP Screen Flickers.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmChimera, Apr 5, 2010.

1. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I did a quick search of the forums, and so I know there are previous threads about this. But my screen is flickering a lot lately and so I plan on either sending it to Apple, Driving 3 hours to Dallas since it's the closest Apple store, or taking it to an authorized repair place here in town. I just have a few questions for anyone that has either had this problem before or maybe just has dealt with repair issues before.

1. Should I wipe my Hdd?

2. Which of the three options would be the better bet?

3. Anyone know if they would just fix it or if they would replace it?

Thanks in advance.

2. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

It's been discussed here before a few times. Someone explained exactly why it does it, but there's no fix that I'm aware of except leaving your 9600GT card on all the time. It only does it when the 9400m is on on the 9600GT is off.

3. cmChimera thread starter macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yeah I saw that it has something to do with the 9400. I'm more curious about the repair options.

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Based on everything I've found, it's not something Apple will fix. There's some sort of weird disparity with the refresh rate of the screen and the 9400m. I don't remember the details, but Apple's "fix" is to just leave the 9600GT on. Sadly, I'm dead serious. There have been countless stories on here about people seeking repair for this error, and no one has ever had it fixed because there is no available fix. Apple doesn't see it as being enough of a problem to warrant replacing the machine either.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think it's a hardware fault until we get more information. If it is in fact an NVIDIA problem, that would be 2 generations of the MacBook Pro's that have been messed up by NVIDIA. With what I've been reading, I really do hope Apple does decide to go back to ATI as their GPU for future MacBook Pro's.

6. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Yeah I got my MBP replaced for the same issue, I think. I don't fully remember the details though, but screw leaving it on the 9600. A screen flickering is not something I would let slide, considering its very distracting. When the intensity increased enough to tick me off, I got it replaced.

7. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

You're the first person I've ever heard of to get it replaced. What did you tell them?

8. Kawininja619 macrumors member

I'd like to know how you got it replaced as well. Im getting tired of watching it flicker all day. Shouldnt have pay 1500+ for a machine that has defects like this.

9. cmChimera thread starter macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I brought it to the authorized repair place and they are replacing the logic board. They said that they couldn't duplicate the issue but after running diagnostics on it, it failed a 2d/video rendering. So hopefully this solves my issue.

10. Kawininja619 macrumors member

I'm taking mine down to my authorized repair place tomorrow. I took video of it so they cant tell me it dosent happen. Hopefully the new logic board solves your flickering.