My late 2013 iMac 27" keeps waking by itself

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PicnicTutorials, Feb 28, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

It sits upstairs on a desk all by itself. I'm the only one that touches it. It does it like once and hour or so. When I see it happen. It sometimes wakes when I'm walking up to it. I initially just figured my steps shook the table slightly it sat on activating the mouse lazer or something. But then my wife and I started noticing it turning on in the middle of the night while there is no movement happening. My screen is set to go off after 15 minutes of inactivity. And to allow to sleep when screen is off. Anyone else experience this? Any reason why? Doesn't really bother me other than I don't like it having a mind of its own. PS when it turns on it is the login in screen and I don't log on so it turns off after minute or so.

2. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Mine did this for a few weeks... the Dropbox app was acting up.

It would also be a good idea to repair/verify disk permissions... that has a way of clearing up strange little issues.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Is the wake for network access option checked?

4. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Well I do have dropbox. I will check permissions again. However I do that weekly prob. Did your stop? Did you find out how to stop dropbox from acting up?

----------

Yes. However I'm the only one accessing it. The remotix app I have logs off automatically after 10 minutes (apples imposed max).So it shouldn't be accessing it without my knowledge. But I assume since you asked there may be something else here.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That is causing it. My MBP would wake up due to it even though there is nothing accessing it either. I just turned it off and it doesn't wake up.

6. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Ok cool I will try that thanks!

7. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Unable to use my Remote Desktop now though. And have my mac sleep. Can't have my cake and eat it too. A mind of its own it is then.

8. dublove macrumors newbie

Check you have not left iTunes open and have an iPhone/iPaq connected via wifi sync enabled.

That caused my iMac to wake up all the time!

9. minimalism macrumors member

It happened to me as well. What I did was to turn of the WiFi sync and sharing.

10. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

ok will try it because even with wake for netwrork access tuned off it still did all night

11. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Any USB devices attached?

I had this problem for many days on a 2010 27" iMac - I discovered certain devices don't like to be plugged into a USB hub, and caused this random wake. Also couldn't get it to sleep reliably, either. Once I moved things around so the bad boys were attached to the back of the iMac, everything got better.

12. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

where do i turn this off at?

13. adamneer macrumors 6502

my Wacom graphics tablet causes both my iMac and rmbp to wake from sleep, the instant it finishes screensaver mode. it will sleep fine sometimes, but generally, if I've used my tablet a lot throughout the day, it will disrupt my computer's sleep cycle if i leave it plugged in. so, since Wacom still hasn't updated their driver to properly function with Adobe Photoshop after 6 months, my best solution is to simply unplug the USB cord from the tablet if i notice it happening. (being that it is unlikely Wacom has any interest in correcting this minor issue in comparison to the glaring problems in Photoshop)

14. minimalism macrumors member

Did you check about the keyboard/mouse connection? It can sometimes trigger the iMac to wake up.

15. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

16. Dd5577 macrumors newbie

Dd5577

I have the same problem.

I have a late 2013 27" iMac with a 3.5 i7, 32gb RAM, 256 SSD, and 780m.

Mine has been doing this since day 1. I hooked it up when I got home, turned it on, downloaded whatever updates there were, put it to sleep and went to bed. I came downstairs in the middle of the night to get a drink of water, and it was on. I put it back to sleep and went to bed. The next morning when I got up, it was on again. That said, it has been doing this from right out of the box, and before installing anything on it that was not already there.

I have read many forums about this. All of them suggest different things. The main thing that I've noticed, is that most people with this problem are using OS X Mavericks.

I would like to know what to do about it, as I've tried everything mentioned (that pertained to me, and my iMac) and there seems to be no cure.

17. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

I'm still in the same position but here's an update. I have a late 2012 iMac and it was running 10.8 when I got it so it's not a Mavericks thing. I'm now in my third week of discussions with AppleCare and my second Senior Advisor. I've been putting this off for way too long so I decided to finally call them up and get it sorted. They've had me try safe mode, no external devices (which I never had anyway), numerous permissions changes, etc. The permissions changes that he made me do essentially crippled the machine. I tried reverting everything and I couldn't get it back to perfect. For the sake of argument, I'm a web developer and work all day on the command line so it's not that I was completely lost with this stuff. He recommended repairing permissions in Disk Utility (which I'd already tried). I tried it on the phone and it took about 20 minutes after the changes he made me do (compared to < 1 minute when I'd done it myself previously). He said that would sort it but I opened Disk Utility again and all the issues were still there. This was far from a solution and it didn't make any difference to the waking issue anyway. I ended up formatting (again!) the other day and setting up a fresh 10.9.2. The problem is still happening and AppleCare received my second set of logs that I created using their data capture tool. It was last Thursday (9 days ago now!) when they got them and I was told that because they'd already seen them the day before they'd only need 24 hours. I didn't hear anything and on Monday, after me emailing my advisor, he said he'd definitely have a resolution for me on Tuesday. I didn't hear anything until another advisor called me yesterday saying that the other guy wasn't in and that he was taking the case. He's hoping to get back to me today (Saturday) but I'm not holding my breath. Supposedly, the Engineering team are taking longer than expected. It's Saturday now and on Monday the original advisor said he was going to them directly to get the case expedited. Hmm, I guess that didn't do anything (if he even went at all).

As I mentioned, I formatted again the other day and the problem is still there. I don't have any external devices, scheduled Time Machine backup, scheduled wake time, etc. The only applications open when the iMac went to sleep the other night were Mail, Safari, and Fantastical in the menu bar. Here's one of the most recent incidents. At ~0400 the screen came on (as it does almost every single night) and stayed on for a while. It eventually went off but I could still hear the fan. This is what happens most nights so at this point I was expecting it to go to sleep again and not bother me. A minute or so later the fan cranked itself up to full speed. It was the middle of the night and it sounded like a plane had landed in my bedroom! It stayed on for a minute then stopped. Honestly, in a year of owning this iMac I've never heard the fan like that, not even close. I checked the logs in the morning and there wasn't anything that stood out (I'm talking really high-level, I obviously don't know what most of it is) and there were definitely no applications causing it (Safari had no tabs open, just the application itself). I've been having this issue for a very long time now. It might have been there from the first day I had the iMac but it's hard to say because for the first couple of months it was in another room. The day I moved it to my bedroom was the day I started noticing it. My girlfriend has even told me numerous times that it's "made noise" (i.e. woken up, screen on, etc.) during the day when I've been out then just gone back to sleep again. She thought this was probably normal but once I told her that it wasn't she pointed out that a 3000€ computer should at least be able to sleep when you tell it to! :)

Anyway, you're not alone here. My iMac is almost exactly 1 year old now and I have the extended AppleCare. What do you guys think I should do? I've tried everything they say, submitted logs on request, and generally been very polite with it all. That said, when do I say enough is enough and demand a proper fix? One of the recent advisors made me change lots of deep permissions, as previously mentioned, and add new users in hope of this fixing it. I told him that even if the issue went away that it's not an acceptable solution as there's no way it's normal to have to make lots of changes like that on a fresh install. The advisors have called numerous times with "I think I know what it is!" and the setting they've expected me to have changed is still default and then it's back to the drawing board for them. I have two other Macs in my apartment and I've tested them both using the same iCloud accounts and running the exact same software. Neither of them wake up in the night. Never.

To add some more context, I've tried with Wi-Fi (that's my default), with Ethernet, with no connection at all, with USB devices, without USB devices, etc. The problem doesn't seem to have a pattern.

Good luck with your situation. I'll update when I hear more on my side.

18. adamneer macrumors 6502

I'd say its time to have them diagnose it as a hardware problem and either fix or replace it. You are wasting your time having them try and diagnose it over the phone or via email. If you have already taken it in, it's time to push for a replacement, since they clearly can't solve the issue for you. You also need to connect with a higher level of management than you've been in contact with, stressing the fact that you've been passed along for far too long with no results.

19. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Yep, it sounds like the right thing to do. So far I've only had support over the phone and haven't yet taken it into a store. As I don't have a car and the Apple Store is on the other side of the city I thought I'd see how far I could get this way. The last thing I want now is to take it in and for the technicians there to start from the very beginning, essentially wasting all the time I've spent with AppleCare over the phone. If I don't get an email in the next few hours from the latest advisor I'll be calling him and asking, as you suggested, to speak to someone at a higher level. I was told by numerous advisors now that the Engineering team take a maximum of three days to review logs sent by users. The previous advisor supposedly passed them along on the morning of Thursday March 27. During one of the previous calls I was told that he'd essentially ruled out all the typical things that could cause it and could essentially be replaced. I really don't fancy carrying it across the city for them to pull parts and replace randomly in hope of figuring it out. Hmm. Anyway, thanks for your reply. :)

20. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Update: After the second Senior Advisor broke his promise of contacting me the next day (and me subsequently giving it 4 days before calling) I managed to get through to another. He took over the case (same old story) and looked into the notes. He said straight away that it's hardware and that I need a new logic board. The advisor has arranged with a third-party company called Regenersis (maybe they're Germany only, I don't know) to replace the board. I told him I'm not too happy with this and he said the option is to take it to an Apple Store but if I do that they'll have to run tests and then order any parts, all while I'm without my computer. With the other company, they send a box and once I have it and it's boxed up they send UPS to get it. In the meantime, they get the part in. The fix is done and it's supposedly back to me (again, via UPS) within a week of them sending the initial box. He said it's the logical (no pun intended :D) step to replace the logic board. Hmm. Let's see, I guess.

21. adamneer macrumors 6502

Sounds like the right course of action. Unfortunately, a warranty guarantees repair, but not an instant repair. Even if you catch the problem within the first 30 days, they're more likely to deem a repair necessary as opposed to a full replacement, though some members here have been lucky enough to be granted one. Part of the trouble is in the fact that AppleCare is handled through a third party and not apple's retail division, so there is a disconnect in priorities between the two. You should just consider yourself lucky that they offered a UPS pickup and shipping instead of requiring you to take the giant box in yourself, as they did with me. The "senior manager" I was given wouldn't budge an inch, despite the fact that 2 of the initial service techs told me in home repair would be granted. But I digress. Congrats on getting a solution finally though. Waiting a week is better than running out of warranty and being completely screwed when your mac inevitably dies a premature death due to constant overheating.