My Latest AppleCare Adventure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajchapinjr.com, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

Hey all--
    I posted a few weeks ago about a problem I was having with my MacBook's battery. Long story short, it was extremely screwy...the "health" reading was all over the place, the charge % on my menu bar wasn't reliable, and it was just one big mess.

I've had the computer for about 13 months, but have the 3 year AppleCare deal.

So I went to my local Apple Store (Danbury, CT) to get it checked out. After waiting for about a halfhour after my scheduled appointment, I was greeted by an exceedingly rude "Genius." I explained my problem, and he did a quick "check" of whether I was "eligible" for a replacement battery. He said I was S.O.L. as batteries "aren't covered under AppleCare. I asked him a few different questions, all basically saying "Are you sure?" There's no way he was right, I knew this. He then told me that he thought my "battery problems" were all in my head, (my words not his) and that there was nothing wrong despite the fact that he saw my battery % drain from 100% to 73% in 18 minutes.

But, he said that he could check some things out and try to fix the problem without a replacement. He went in and deleted my battery preferences, saying that they were likely corrupt. He then sent me on my merry little way.

His "fix" did not work. So I called the AppleCare phone number. Within 5 minutes, I was talking to a live person, and 5 minutes after that they were taking my information to ship a new battery. I made the phonecall at about 5 PM tonight. They told me to expect it in about 3 days.

I got an email about two hours ago from Apple with a DHL tracking number that says it will be at my door in about ten-twelve hours.

I was absolutely disgusted by the way things happened in the store, but could not be more delighted at how things were handled on the phone. I guess this thread doesn't have any true purpose, other than to share my story. For those of you who live more than a halfhour away from your nearest Apple Store, it may be worth calling AppleCare before making a trip. I certainly wish I hadn't wasted my time.

Just throwing it out there.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Thanks for sharing that, it increased my confidence in Apple even more. Glad you got it worked out despite the troubles locally.

3. tiamat1990 macrumors member

Well to be fair that was just one employee...if it keeps on happening to you in the future then yeah it's unacceptable.

4. ajchapinjr.com thread starter macrumors member

Just to put an end to the story....

As scheduled, the new battery arrived today. Works great. Wonderful experience...

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That's great to hear.

My experience with the Genius bar with my iPod touch was horrible. The guy was so rude, and such an ******. I had dead pixels and he said it was scratches. Sent in the iPod to Apple and they replaced it.

I think I wasn't helped either at the genius bar cause I look quite young. I'm 18, and I look probably about 16-17 years old, depending if I spike my hair up or not. That's the reason I believe he was rude to me, even the manager was as well.

Do you look young? Cause they tend to act like that towards young people for some reason.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Glad to hear this was taken care of, in short when I was still on the PC platform I went through the same thing with DELL "HELL" support in India, its not there fault its the procedures, the tech said the battery is not covered , I said I have a full coverage extended warranty to include all hardware, yes you do the battery is hardware is it not? Yes it is, please ship me a new battery , one moment plz, supervisor comes on and says your battery will be shipped to you overnight we are sorry for the delay and problem. I was on the phone for 40 minutes trying to resolve this but as the next day came DHL also delivered a new battery...........

I have had nothing but outstanding service from Apple sales, and Geeks / Genius's here in Albany NY