iPhone 6(S)(+) My launch day iPhone 6 is at 100% max capacity. How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mebehere, Mar 29, 2018.

1. mebehere macrumors 6502

I don’t see how this can be accurate. Anyone think it’s simply wrong?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I also agree that seems inaccurate. If you have a Mac, try coconut battery and see what kind a reading you achieve with your iPhone 6.

3. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

4. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I don’t have a Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2018 ---
    With the new battery diagnostic in iOS 11.3.

5. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

I think you’re right. My 6S shows 94%, 92% on coconut battery

6. aviddk macrumors regular

iPhone 6+ launch day purchase 91% from iOS 11.3

7. smorrissey macrumors 65816

My launch day 6s is at 100% too and i wouldn't say there's something wrong with it i just got lucky with a good battery, my ipad air 2 that's a different story and not talking about my ipod touch 6 which is the worst of them all....

Anyways this battery feature is still on beta so....

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

They do say battery health is in beta. Obviously it’s not completely accurate across all devices. I’m sure they aired the on the side of caution so everyone isn’t rushing to complain.

9. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

I had planned on getting the battery replaced toward the end of the year. Now I’m not sure. I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it until then. With my luck, I’d choose not to replace it and then it’d die on Jan. 1.

10. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Li-ion batteries age even if you don't use them. A 2.5 year battery without capacity loss is basically impossible.

11. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

It’s most likely a combination of the battery health being in beta and not completely accurate, and you got a battery from the factory that was over 100% design capacity from the start.

12. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Or Apple skewing the numbers the other way now that everyone can see the health on there iPhone? Who knows?
    7 battery health threads on the first page. Yay.

13. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

Having compared Apple’s battery heath numbers throughout the 11.3 beta with the numbers that CoconutBattery reports, I can say that Apple’s numbers have always been within 1% for my device.

You really think Apple would skew the numbers intentially when this new feature is in response to throttlegate and will be under major public scrutiny? Apple is a lot of things but they aren’t stupid.

14. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

That’s good to know. I was wondering if anyone was comparing the battery health on the iPhone with coconut battery. Thanks for sharing.

15. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

16. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502

AMTYVLE

Remember people - this feature is still in beta...........

I wouldn't take the % too seriously yet.

17. smorrissey macrumors 65816

Well if that's right they are cheating on us...again.

18. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

I don’t see how.

Apple’s support page makes it clear batteries age through the passage of time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

19. smorrissey, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018

smorrissey macrumors 65816

You don't see how? how about Apple reporting correct numbers then as you said above?

As i alredy stated my iphone 6s (bought november 2015) is reporting 100% battery health, you are saying that's not correct, i'm supporting you and then i'm saying they are cheating on us after all the previous polemic, then you don't see how...geez..

Ahhh got you, you are gonna say BETA next, that thing is still on beta because they are not capable yet to report accurate numbers for that feature and i doubt they will in the future, we are not talking here about measuring all APPLE devices only 6, iphone 6, 6plus, 6s, 6plus, 7, 7 plus that feature is still on beta and reporting incorrect numbers (according to you) and you don't see the cheat? oh well... whatever..

How many betas for ios 11.3 before being final? still that "important" feature is still on Beta.

I guess you don't have idea why this new "feature" was introduced on the first place... because they were caught CHEATING!
    https://www.theguardian.com/technol...for-slowing-older-iphones-battery-performance

https://www.quora.com/Is-Apple-cheating-on-its-customers

When you are not cheating you never apologize and they are doing it again...here you have your innacurate new feature to measure your phones...enjoy!.

20. now i see it macrumors 68030

What's happening is that the battery that was installed in the phone at the factory had a higher real capacity than the specification. For the iPhone 6, the battery specification is 1810 mAh, but the battery you got (lucky you) probably had a higher real capacity than the specification - essentially giving you a bigger battery.

The new iOS 11.3 battery power management feature is comparing YOUR battery to the specification. Your battery may have degraded 5% from when it was new, but if it actually had 5% more capacity than spec when new, the power management software wouldn't know it... So it would appear to be at 100%.

If Apple wanted to be sneaky, they could under rate the battery specification and all new batteries would exceed it. Then we would all have batteries lingering around 100% design-capacity for years... though they still would have degraded.

21. smorrissey macrumors 65816

Also this is the very first time i've seen a "Beta Feature" on a FINAL ios release.

I've never seen a weather beta, or Safari beta or mail beta, pretty dissappointing...

22. kevink2 macrumors 65816

My current MacBook Pro, when new, had over 100% according to coconut battery. Now, it ranges from 79-82%.

23. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

The software function/algorithm to determine the battery health is not beta, Apple has been using it to determine when to throttle for a year now.

The only new function is showing the user the status and an on/off switch.

24. puma1552 macrumors 603

Not sure why that simple part would need to be in beta in a final release, which I too have never, ever seen from Apple...

25. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

It’s a legal issue. Nothing to do with the tech. They needed tmore take steps toward a resolution but accurately displaying everyone’s battery degradation would be a PR nightmare for Apple.