My least-favourite thing about MacOS...

alexjholland

macrumors 6502
Original poster
...is when it automatically switches to an application/window, because it *THINKS* I need to click on a button.

I'm happily minding my own business and flick to a Safari screen, but this dumb OS yanks me straight back to my desktop. Again and again. Or the inverse!

Sometimes there will be a little button tucked away I need to press 'OK' on - and today there's no reason, at all.

I don't like anyone, ever, yanking me and pulling me to one side. My Mac is no exception.

How can I cease this nonsense?

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I honestly don’t know what you’re talking about. Mind to give a more specific example? A screenshot even?

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
Me neither. You must have some accessibility setting enabled or third party tool installed, which move the mouse to default button.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think the OP is talking about apps that "steal focus" - Blizzard's Battle.net client is a good example. If you start Battle.net and try to do something else while it starts up (which can take 20-30 seconds) then you're in for a world of frustration; it forces itself to be the topmost window two or three times during startup, and grabs keyboard focus, so whatever you're trying to type into another app ends up going into Battle.net instead.

I would love for there to be an option to prevent this behaviour - I should choose when to switch between apps; don't let apps choose by themselves. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any way to configure this under MacOS.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I would love for there to be an option to prevent this behaviour - I should choose when to switch between apps; don't let apps choose by themselves. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any way to configure this under MacOS.
You must have given it permission to control Accessibility System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy. You can try and revoke it, but then it might complain or not work as intended.