My leather band stinks! Cleaning tips?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by California King, Oct 19, 2015.

1. California King macrumors 65816

What's the best way to de-oderize my leather band (Classic Buckle)? It stinks so much from wearing it on a daily basis and sweating in it that I don't even think it's sanitary to wear anymore :(

I've tried getting a damp paper towel to try and clean it, but the smell is still there. Any suggestions?

2. artfossil, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

There are leather cleaners. They're expensive but may be worth trying. Of course, test on a small, inconspicuous area.

If you're feeling adventuresome (and it sounds like you don't have a lot to lose) try saddle soap. It's cheap, and you can get a small can in the hardware store.

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

You could try putting it in a ziplock bag with some baking soda or rinsing it in diluted vinegar and airing it to dry.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not think there is much you can do about it as the leather has absorbed sweat and each time it gets wet will smell again.

5. MegynKelly macrumors newbie

MegynKelly

Maybe you are right.

6. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Aren't there leather conditioners? They should be oil based, and soak into the leather not only getting the smell out, but keeping the leather soft and "fresh".

7. pkcable macrumors newbie

pkcable

Mink oil is an example (don't hate Peta folks I wouldn't use it just mentioning it!!!! lol)

8. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

There's a Hermes saddle soap! Who knew? Folks on Amazon like Fiebings. $8.34 Prime vs $25 for Hermes. Fiebings also makes a mink oil paste. :)

9. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

There are ways to delay the inevitable but in my experience a daily worn leather band needs to be replaced every 1-2 years. That's just the way it is, and the reason I'm done with leather bands, even though I like the leather look and comfort.

For the Apple Watch I got a Milanese loop band, which I'm very happy with. It's the bees knees, both comfortable and easy to clean.