Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I have the first generation Black MacBook core duos and upgraded the RAM to 2 GBs. I have had 5 repairs so far, 2 of them with SuperDrive problems, a bunch of case problems, and a keyboard problem ( Y key didn't work whatsoever. some of the superdrive problems I also mixxed in with case problems so they fixxed the SuperDrive and the case at the same time). Now, when I paid 150$ extra for the looks of the case, I expect it to look good. But now my screen is disaligned by about 1/5th of an inch from the last time I brought in my repair, and the space button is somewhat not responsive anymore, and now I am questioning, why even bother getting a repair if there are just going to keep on coming. I am usually not that concerned about looks, but when I pay 150$ extra for looks, I expect more. So my question to you is, if I complain to Apple about this, based on the past, would they replace this computer? Even if it is just a somewhat non-responsive key and a screen disalignment, even though I have had MANY repairs about case problems? I have wasted hours on the phone talking to technical support, and have had Apple employees not put the info right so I have to call AGAIN to confirm it. I am just... tired.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
You are understandably tired, but don't give up. Emailing higher up on the Apple ladder will help, as will saying that this notebook is clearly a bad Apple (forgive the pun). How old is your notebook? If it's still within the first year (which I'm guessing it is), you should tell Apple that this notebook is on the verge of qualifying for lemon status. Keep bother them (don't bother with a Genius or store staff), and you will get results. Persistence is the key.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
It is over a year old but I bought Applecare with it. If I call technical support, should I just tell them I am tired and it would just be easier for both them and me to get a replacement, or should I just say that I am frustrated with this and I think I got a lemon?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think you want to say that it is a lemon for sure. I think technically, a lemon must have the same issue repeated three times, but if you get the right person on the phone, they'll agree with you and send a new one out to you. You might also want to mention that know the Better Business Bureau number by heart;) Sometimes things like this can produce amazing results. In fact, three years ago, we had a family plan for our cell phones, and ran into problems with our phones (Motorollas). Each one began to have problems (mine turned off one day and never came back on, my mom's wouldn't connect to ATT's wireless network, my dad's screen blacked out at times, and my sister's had issues with voicemail), and we became very frustrated. ATT said they wouldn't do anything since it was Motorolla's phone (go figure:rolleyes:). However, we wrote a letter to the BBB and Motorolla, and within a week, Motorolla told us that they were sending us brand new phones (not even ours, a higher end model!). Sometimes knowing whose name to say can help.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
thats a disgrace 2 all of apple. i hope you know that you got a "rotten apple" and they are all not like that.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Whats the BBB?

I wonder if since I am 14 the person on the phone would take advantage of that, I have called technical support before, and they always have sent in my computers for repairs, but never actually had a replacement.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Whats the BBB?

Better Business Bureau.

I wonder if since I am 14 the person on the phone would take advantage of that, I have called technical support before, and they always have sent in my computers for repairs, but never actually had a replacement.

Oh yes, they have been taking advantage of you. This isn't your fault, it's actually more your teachers' fault. We're never taught about how to speak to customer "sevice" reps in school, and we assume that the person on the other line is trustworthy. They are NOT. Since you're underage, I advise getting your parents to help. They will have a better understanding of how to speak to these kinds of reps, and you can learn from them. Good luck.:)

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Whats the Better Business Bureau?

I might just try to talk to the reps, because even if I fail, I can guarantee there is going to be another problem. *shrug*

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
dude dont give up they are takin advantage of you..
im 14 and had mine sent in becuase i cracked the screen and after it came back from repair there were problems and within one buisness day i had a replacement which im typin on right now..
ya maybe if ur not sure how to talk and to get what u think u deserve for a bad product you should let your parents do the talkin..

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Thanks for the help everyone!

My parents are out of the question they are working 15 hours a day each and we are barely making it.

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
When you call, don't tell them that this is bothering you because of how it looks (they aren't going to take aesthetic issues seriously), focus on functionality. Tell whoever you speak with that this is the second time you have had issues with the keyboard and explain the screen disalignment. I would also emphasize that you have sent it in 5 times already.

Also - if the first person you speak with is not sounding very competent or helpful, get his or her name and ask to speak to their supervisor. With the supervisor - reiterate all the issues and the fact that a 15 month computer has had 5 repairs, two for the SuperDrive and now yet another issue with the keyboard. Tell them that this sort of service is unacceptable, especially since you have Apple Care and request a replacement. Don't let them know you are 14 - they will totally take advantage of that. I remember being on the phone with tech support or customer service at 14 - as soon as I started asserting myself and requesting a supervisor and learned how to assert myself I got great results - if you speak with authority and stand up for yourself, they won't even know or question your age.

Remember - you are the customer, and you have the AppleCare. The law is three replacements of the same part or for the same issue for a lemon replacement - but if you emphasize that the SuperDrive has been replaced twice and that you are now going to need a new keyboard a second time (even if you don't think you need to get it replaced - tell them you do - you can't make them think you can live with it if you want a new computer) that you should qualify.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Whats the Better Business Bureau?

They handle complaints consumers have. They're not government related; their only goal is to smooth relations between businesses and customers. Here you can read more about the BBB.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I'm really nervous so could you guys sorta... help me with what to say?

So, lets do some roleplaying:

Apple tech support answers.

What I say:"Hi, I have had so far 5 repairs with my MacBook first generation due to a lot of case problems, superdrive problems, and keyboard problems, and now my MacBook's hinges squeek like crazy, the screen is disaligned, the keyboard's space bar is somewhat unresponsive, and now the wireless doesn't work good, even when you put it right next to the base, even when my iMac G5's wireless has full strength and is all the way downstairs when my base is upstairs. I am really fed up with calling Applecare every 2 months it seems, and judging by how many hours I spent on the phone, and how many times I had to bring it to an Apple store that is 45 minutes from my house, I just think it would be easier to get the whole thing replaced".

If she says yes, all is well, but if she says no, I ask for her Manager or Supervisor and say:

"I just spoke to (name) and he/she wasn't much help, so I am going to let you be the judge... (say the whole thing over again)."

How does that sound? What would you guys suggest?

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!

What I say:"Hi, I have had so far 5 repairs with my MacBook first generation due to a lot of case problems, superdrive problems, and keyboard problems, and now my MacBook's hinges squeek like crazy, the screen is disaligned, the keyboard's space bar is somewhat unresponsive, and now the wireless doesn't work good, even when you put it right next to the base, even when my iMac G5's wireless has full strength and is all the way downstairs when my base is upstairs. I am really fed up with calling Applecare every 2 months it seems, and judging by how many hours I spent on the phone, and how many times I had to bring it to an Apple store that is 45 minutes from my house, I just think it would be easier to get the whole thing replaced".

If she says yes, all is well, but if she says no, I ask for her Manager or Supervisor and say:

"I just spoke to (name) and he/she wasn't much help, so I am going to let you be the judge... (say the whole thing over again)."

Better idea send a letter to sjobs@apple.com a rep will contact you and bend over backwards to help, they are amazing, sent me a free 17"MBP for my problems..include your phone number they will call withen 3 days :)

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
Good idea, on the emailing Steve. It works.

Really, though, I'm surprised they haven't offered you a replacement yet. Usually Apple's pretty good about these things.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

Don't ever give them the chance to decide; you have to assert yourself. You'll only get what you ask for, so ask for a little more than you want (hard to see in your case though, so I guess asking for a new notebook is as far as you can go).

Make it quite clear to them that this is not appropriate, and that as a paying customer you can always take your business elsewhere. They're there to serve you, not the other way around. Just keep that in mind, and you should be fine.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am e-mailing sjobs@apple.com and my dad gave me advice to always ask for a little more than you expect, because you never know. What do you guys think would be a good way to try and get a MBP? Just say that I guess the MacBook is not right for me?

I had many problems with my MacBook, see the thread, My Problematic MacBook, and was wondering, since I am emailing sjobs@apple.com, if this is good for an email, and I am trying to get the most out of it, and I am hoping for a MBP! Does this sound good?

"Hi, I own a first generation MacBook, with on upgrades. The reason I bought this computer was for school, I also bought Applecare warranty and am under warranty. I have had so 5 repairs so far done in the last year. This meant wasted hours, and wasted weeks waiting for my problematic MacBook, which meant I had to find many alternatives for school. Here are the problems that have occured in the last year or so:

-A couple of Superdrive problems
-Many, many frame/case problems
-Keyboard problems

I have sent in my MacBook through both phone service and sent it into an Authorized Apple Store in the Genius Bar. I now have numerous new problems:

-The hinges that hold up the screen are very week, and squeak, even if you just slightly move your legs while it's on your lap.
-The screen is not aligned with the bottom case when it is closed, I was supposed to get this fixxed before, but it was never fixxed.
-I recently got the faceplate to the front of the screen where it says,"MacBook", well, now, at the bottom of that, it seems like it does not fit and is peeling off, which seems like the whole faceplate is coming off.

I find this very annoying sending in my MacBook to Apple every 2 months, and I have had many Macs in the past, and none of them have had this problem. I have never dropped the MacBook, spilled anything on it, or damaged it in anyway. If this is how the MacBook's are made, I guess the MacBook is not right for me, and am leaning on the hope that maybe the MacBook Pro is a better choice for me.

I have all the original documentation including the Repair IDs, the Case IDs, etc.

You can contact me at (PHONE NUMBER), ask for (NAME).

Thanks for your time and I hope we can talk on how we can work this out."

Is there anything I am missing?

GAS

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Overall the letter seems fine to me. But you shouldn't have made another thread for it tbh.
The letter is a bit casual I suppose, wouldn't use "Hi" would say "Dear sir/madam" etc.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I am e-mailing sjobs@apple.com and my dad gave me advice to always ask for a little more than you expect, because you never know. What do you guys think would be a good way to try and get a MBP? Just say that I guess the MacBook is not right for me?

No, make it seem like Apple has let you down in a big way. Something along the lines of, "I expected to have no problems with this machine, esspecially considering what I had seen and heard on TV (refrence to the Mac v PC ads). I guess Apple isn't the company I thought it was." Do that, and Apple will be dying to make it up to you.

Edit: After reading your other thread, I have to tell you that you need some help with grammar. Please proofread very carefully. An unprofessional letter is not going to get you anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.