My life is offically screwed up.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kidwithdimples, Mar 18, 2009.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I am screwed.

I got a call from the apple store then they directed me to a genius in the store. They found liquid damage =\ and they have pictures to prove it. And I was cleaning my macbook with those micro piece of cloth... the ones that wipe out the water with one rub. I was cleaning the sides and I guess where the 4pins where (the part where you attach the magsafe) it got damaged by liquid.

The charge is $750 and with tax it's $780.

What do I do now?

The warranty doesn't cover for liquid damage... any type of warranty.

Cliffs:
    ----
    - cleaned the computer
    - somehow damaged the part where you attach the magsafe in
    - took the macbook to 5th ave apple store
    - got a call and said its liquid damage
    - damage = $780
    - should i do it?

2. J DILLA macrumors member

so did you forget the part in the cliffs where you spilt someting all over your comp?:confused:

3. raremage macrumors 6502a

A better question is "Why create another thread when you already have one perfectly good thread?"

At the end of the day, if they provided pics, somehow you had water intrusion. It's highly unlikely that it was caused by cleaning the mackbook with an alcohol wipe or a microfiber cloth at the magsafe connection point.

How about providing the pics? Maybe then someone would be more inclined to believe the story you have floated, but as it is, sounds like you're going to spend $780 if you want it repaired.

4. virgo123 macrumors newbie

I think your title is a bit OTT. You should be thankful of your life, a damaged macbook is far from the end of the world. I've lost the feeling in my legs, and I'm going for an MRI tomorow and your title is exactly what I'm thinking at the moment.

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Oh boy, I wish you the best and hope the outcome is good news....

6. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why so harsh.. jeez. No sir, I DID NOT spill anything over my macbook. I recently bought it.. like 2 months ago. I went home for spring break and I cleaned it with the microfiber cloth. I cleaned it the day I was going back to university. And I even charged it and used the computer.

When I got back to dorm.. I left it on charged and had to do some stuffs. Later in the night... I was doing homework in the lounge and I needed to grab my charger, so I came to my room and got it. Then I noticed it wasn't charging at all. I thought it was my charger. I used my friend's charger and it still did not work. I thought it was the socket. I went to another one and it's the same thing.

I googled it and found the magsafe light not being solid green and dimmed orange. So then I took it to the Apple Store.

7. labyrinth23 macrumors newbie

How about you stop creating multiple threads for the same topic..?
    Maybe when you master that...then we'll work from there.

8. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry.. a MOD can delete this if they want. It was only my second thread.

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

a mod has already seen this thread (Mitthrawnuruodo) because if you look he edited the first reply, and if he deemed this thread to be useless it would've been gone by now. so how about you stop wasting useless posts?

how? http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=15209249http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=15209249

10. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Any possibility of someone in your dorm room spilling something on it? Just a thought.

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I was going to ask something similar. Something is not adding up, the OP says he did not spill anything on it yet the geniuses say they have proof there is moisture damage. Big ???'s :confused:

12. J DILLA macrumors member

so the person you bought it from was the one who spilled something on it? and it had been working this entire time until you decided to wipe it down with the cloth?:confused::confused:

13. paolo- macrumors 6502a

What are the symptoms of the computer right now ?

14. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

How old is the MacBook? If its relatively new, repair it.
    How much are you willing to spend? $780 is a lot of money for one repair. If it is an older macbook, your probably better off (if you can afford it) spending extra to get a new macbook. might as well upgrade now.

Hah! macrumors newbie, join date mar 2009 telling a 2 year member what to do :p

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I wish nothing but the best for you!! I hope all goes well. You are right, we should be happy we are alive. Computers can be replaced and we can move on, lives can't.

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If your local Apple Store is the 5th Avenue one then you probably won't have any trouble at all finding $780 since houses round those parts cost meelions of dollars each.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A better question is ... do you believe your life is actually screwed up as a result of an electronic device failing due to your carelessness?

18. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

@ virgo123 all the best with the scan.

@ op, If I were you I'd look at getting it repaired elsewhere. That's the kind of money I'd put into a new machine not a repair job. Could you get a cheap part online 2nd hand and get a local mac repair shop to fix? My friend did this with an old powerbook and saved more than double then if he'd gone the apple route (bad motherboard in his case).

19. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Melodramatic much? The thread title had me expecting much worse :rolleyes:

20. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

OWNED hahah

21. barryst macrumors regular

haha

but OP,

**** happens.

your life isn't officially screwed up because you might be out 700 dollars. you see wats goin on around you in this economy? yeah, so like i said. **** happens.

not sure what you expected to find out here, you said yourself the warranty's not gonna cover water damage. so either pay it or buy a new laptop.

22. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I didn't realize being a member longer than someone else made you immune to the forum rules.

23. Psychmike macrumors regular

Did you buy it new or used?

As I recall, there was a thread here within the past 2 months where someone said that they spilled liquid onto their MB or MBP, cleaned it up, and intended to resell it without disclosing potential damage. I know the chances of you getting that specific laptop are close to nil but I wonder if something similar happened to you.

That poster seemed keen to pat himself on the back for his business acumen but I guess things seem a little different when you see that that kind of nonsense actually results in another person getting burned.

24. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. My roomates were not even in the room. I was the first one to get in my room and my roomates came later at night.

I sprayed a lot of cleaning liquid on the microfiber cloth and it was really wet. I cleaned the entire macbook even my screen and it looked like all new even though it was already a new one. It's the 2.0 GHz unibody aluminum macbook.

On my floor there is a small lounge where someone just hangs out with friends. I left my macbook charged but I didn't look to see if the green light was solid or not. I came back to my room and took my laptop and went straight to the lounge. I used it for a few hours doing my homework and that's when I needed the magsafe. I got the magsafe but it wouldn't charge at all. The green/orange light was dimmed and you can barely see it. Even though it was plugged in... it would say the computer is running off the battery... it's not plugged in.

I am getting some money back from school so I guess I'll use $750 from there and repair it through Apple. And I will never bother to clean it except the screen.

And I say my life is offically screwed up because I hate windows. I love my macbook.

25. waiwai macrumors regular

so you splurged on your computer and it gets damaged from the "fluids", warranty doesn't cover it, you're left with the bill and that makes your life totally screwed? lols...

you get an EPIC FAIL for thinking ur life is screwed up over a macbook. your life doesn't revolve around a macbook, if u think it does... well another EPIC FAIL for you. You don't know the real meaning of being officially screwed/fubar.

Be a man and own up to your own mistake. Pay the damn bill, if you can't afford it, well you are S.O.L. Shoulda been more careful with your apple juice.