My lightning cable disintegrated...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessica Lares, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I've been using the same cable for two years now. There was a little tear at the top which I patched up with electrical tape earlier this year, but it just kept getting worse and worse and started flaking off all over my desk as I continued using it.

Whatever green coating they're using on the wrap around the wires pretty much melted into the outer (it stained it green). It doesn't get on my hands or anything, but it's sticky and I'm sure if I took a fingernail to it it'd come off.

Anyone else have something similar happen to theirs? There's such a big deal about using official cables because they're safer, but they have problems of their own.

It still works perfectly fine, but I just finally had it with using something that looked and felt as bad as that to charge my phone, heh.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If you can take it to an Apple store, Apple will probably exchange it for you. They know the durability of the things is nonexistent.

I got fed up and switched to an AmazonBasics cable. It's beefier and I like the 6ft. size. Never going back to an Apple lightning cable again.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would not use it if it truly disintegrated. I've seen cables fail like that pictured on this site so I don't think you're alone. It's unfortunate though because they're not exactly inexpensive.

4. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Only cable I've had disintegrate on me was the Original Amazon Kindle cord. Literally fell apart to pieces.