My Lion Experience

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Crotonmark, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Crotonmark macrumors regular

This is from a relative Mac newbie
    It is not meant to represent anyone's experience but mine
    I have a 27" 2010 iMac w/8GB RAM
    I initially did a Lion update over my Snow Leopard installation.
    All was ok until I updated to 10.7.1
    After that I was beach balling ALL the time - especially when I would open System Preferences to get to the Start up disk preference (I wanted to get to my Boot Camp partition). - it would just freeze my dock and the preference and would require a hard power off reboot to get back to normal.
    I first tried to do a repair installation but that failed with "less than one minute to go".
    This was at midnight NY Time - and being a newbie I panicked that I was now the proud owner of a brick.
    However, the GREAT guys at Apple Care Australia (the only english speaking land east of me that I could reach) talked me thru a reformat of the Lion partition and the use of my time machine disk and the GREAT migration assistant to get me up and running.
    It is now about 48 hours in and I have not had one beach ball or ANY issues - rock solid performance.

One man's story.

Mark

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Not necessary. Just start the computer while holding Option.

3. Crotonmark thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I wasn't clear - that was ONE of the problems - the most severe but I thought an indication that something wasn't right. Also that the repair installation failed.

Finally, why would I want to have to restart my machine holding down anything? Never had to before...

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

And starting up while frantically tapping Pause/Break to keep the BiOS from passing the setup screen which looks like something that hasn't been updated since 1986 is so much more elegant :rolleyes:

5. Crotonmark thread starter macrumors regular

This is in reference to??
    If you don't like the story I told you are free to move on
    Your quote below has no relevance to this situation.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You claim that you've never had to nor should ever have to press a key while starting up to change any settings. If you've used Windows, you don't have a choice. If your computer has issues, no matter what OS they have, you're going to have to do so.

Might I spoon-feed you as well? LUL

7. Snowguy macrumors member

Wow... rude and arrogant... quite the combo. Might I suggest you upgrade to a superdrive so you can add a little burn to that rude?

As far as starting up and holding option: It's easier than going into system prefs and choosing your bootcamp partition as the start up. Just power on, when the white screen shows up, hold option.. and your mac and bootcamp partition will show up on the screen.. click and you're set.

There are lots of neat things you can do holding various keyboard combinations while starting up.

8. Crotonmark thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Snowguy. I do it my way since I jump into Windows at random times. Not at startup.
    AND my point was a clean install solved Multiple issues

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

[​IMG]

Does not your computer restart in order to get into Windows anyway? :confused:

Lion is having serious bugs, some of which have been fixed by reinstalling my system but only after about four failed attempts. What bugs me is that there are issues that existed since Snow Leopard that haven't even been mentioned in any updates... Oh Apple, keep on rollin...

10. Crotonmark thread starter macrumors regular

Actually it is EASIER to restart thru the applet in Sys Pref
    One less click into Windows

Does this confuse you ? roll your eyes?
    Sheesh?
    Is it the rain?