My Lion Test Drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mcmlxix, Jul 22, 2011.

1. mcmlxix, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

mcmlxix macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what all of the behind the scenes APIs and system enhancements are, but the improved security is welcome. So this list will focus on user interaction.

Pros

• Quick Look
    o Right sizing
    o Before when you looked at something small, hitting the down/up arrow made the next file the same size even if it should have been larger. And vice versa, something small would be stretched to make it bigger.
    o Now hitting the down/up arrow makes everything look the right size.
    o I wanted that all along in Snow Leopard.​
    • Mail
    o Email threads look like separate pages. This makes following all of the threads easier.
    o The overall GUI looks better.
    o But I don't get the "See more from…" feature. It doesn’t function how I would have expected it to, and how do you un-see them?
    o The iOS like side bar is ok. I don't love or hate it.​
    • Resizing Windows
    o It’s nice to be able to do this from all sides, although track pad precision isn't all that great for resizing.​
    • Hiding scroll bars is nice.
    • Finder
    o Air Drop is slick. Its UI could look better though.
    o All My Files is interesting, but how functional is it if you have a LOT of files?​
    • Mission Control
    o Swiping left and right to switch spaces is nifty.​
    • Hot corners
    o This is nothing new, but setting hot corners for Mission Control, Launch Pad, etc is an essential feature.​
    • Rubber band effect
    o I don’t love it or hate it.​
    • Launch Pad
    o It’s not that bad. I’ll probably use it for things not on my dock.​

Cons

• Finder
    o Lack of pinch to zoom of icons in Finder, like icons of photos.
    o Nooooooooo. Why, why, why was this taken away?​
    • Full Screen
    o The dock isn’t accessible when in a full screen window, and it’s not really acceptable to switch to another space to use the dock.
    o Safari isn’t technically full screen if you can’t hide the address bar. Accessing it via mouse over would work.
    o Was shift+cmd+F taken? opt+cmd+F is awkward.
    o Why is a full screen window in a one to one relationship to a space? ​
    • Mission Control
    o Again, why is a full screen window in a one to one relationship to a space?
    o Coming from someone who used Spaces a lot (and liked my spaces in the space I put them) but never used Expose or Dashboard, Mission Control is a cluttered mess.
    o Using it was jerky, and that was on a new, pimped out Mac Book Pro.
    o Can't move a window to another space using hot corners.
    o Moving windows from one space to another in the old way was simply better.
    o Opening new window of an application already in a different space was something I always wanted, but the way it works, I’m not sure that it works how I would have liked.​
    • Versions & Auto Save
    o Ok, I can see this being a life saver. Does anyone remember getting the bomb in Classic OS at 3:00 AM writing a term paper and breaking into tears? And I can see myself getting very used to not saving things, but it could have been implemented better.
    o The big deal breaker about it is if I make significant changes to a file (and this is often) I no longer consider it just another version, but it’s own file. The inability to “save as” a new name at that point is unworkable.
    o The Time Machine like versions interface could also be easier to use, such as forward and backward gestures to view through the versions and hitting return (or cmd+return) to select that version. Also who wants dozens upon dozens of versions, so cmd+delete would be nice too.​
    • Resume
    o It’s good in theory, but it’s a bear to reload all of the apps/windows/tabs. Again, this was on a new, high end MBP.​
    • Gestures
    o Ok, I haven’t explored them all, and they aren’t all bad, but I have to wonder about when too many is too many.
    o Some are intuitive and an excellent way to interact with the OS and applications, but others are too arcane and awkward.​
    • iCal and Address Book
    o You’re kidding me, right?​

Ok, this was a thoughtful assessment, so thoughtful replies, comments, and corrections would be more appreciated than down voting.

2. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Exactly what I thought.

And I agree with much of what you've said. I used Spaces heavily too, so I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to deal with Mission Control.

I'm still not completely adapting to the reverse scrolling, although it's only been one day. It just reminds me of playing a video game on an inverted controller - backward and confusing for some, but intuitive for me.

Granted I've only gotten to really play with Lion for an hour or two, but I'm already really bothered that three-finger swipes don't use the forward-back functionality (in browsers, finder, the Twitter app, etc).

3. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

This kind of scrolling is designed to mimic touchscreen scrolling. It's especially useful for experienced iOS users who are new to Macs.

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. You're moving the content rather than moving the scrollbar.

It works best on a trackpad, obviously.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This can be changed as Im using 3 fingers for this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1193238

5. mcmlxix thread starter macrumors 6502a

The first thing I did was to switch scrolling to the old way. I understand why Apple did this, but I always thought the way OS X and iOS scrolled (each differently) was right and intuitive in their own ways.

6. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I have a magic trackpad, and I totally understand; just the other day, I was talking to my girlfriend about how intuitive iOS scroll was. However, to me, this is only intuitive because you're interacting DIRECTLY with the screen. I still have "natural scroll" enabled, but I still haven't really gotten used to it. I find myself scrolling like I used to, then having to correct myself and go in the other direction.

ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD!