My little boys iPad 1 keeps crashing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bulldoze, May 30, 2012.

1. bulldoze macrumors regular

We donated our old iPad 1 to my 4 yr old son so he can play his games and educational stuff on it without filling our iPads up with stuff.

Trouble is it does not look as though it can handle the latest games, he plays Angry birds space on it and plants v Zombies and cut the rope but all too often he is a 30 secs into the game and then it cuts to the home screen.

Anyone know why? is the cpu, gpu maxed out? it is enclosed in a plastic case but I don't think that is the cause. I have done hard resets and stuff but it does seem to be pretty random.

Thanks

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Did you try to restore it as new through iTunes, then redownload his apps?

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Try a hard reset first, hold the black power button on the top edge while also holding down the round power button in the bezel,until you get a silver Apple in the screen, let it reboot;)

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

He said in his post that he had done hard resets already.

5. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Had this happen to me occasionally with my iPad 1, it's probably due to the small size ram. I'd imagine that it would struggle with the newer apps.

6. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

yep tried the hard reset, and tried the full restore it just seems as though it can't handle the newer apps.

Anyone else have problems running newer stuff on iPad 1?

7. Star56 macrumors member

My 3 year old plays Angry Bird-Space on her ipad 1 all the time with zero problems. No reboots or lockups on any of her games.

Your ipod 1 is having issues.

8. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

I am starting to think you may well be right - hmmm my little boy has been eyeing up my iPad 2 and my Wifes iPad 3 for a few weeks now!

I think I already know which way this is going to go.....

9. MacLurker316 macrumors newbie

I actually have been having similar issues with my iPad1 as well - there's this iBomber tank game that keeps crashing when I use it on iPad1 (happened from day 1), but all other apps work fine, and the same app also works fine on my iPad2. I also have to say other apps appear to run more sluggish on the iPad1, which is expected, but I do experience more crashes on my iPad1 when running new apps. Guess developers aren't troubleshooting as much against the older iPad1's anymore?

10. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

In my experience with the iPad 1, the RAM was unbearable. I could rarely play a game to a level of enjoyment without crashes.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When I had the iPad 1, I have no problem with:

Asphalt 6
    Need for for speed Hot Pursuit
    Infinity Blade
    N.O.V.A
    Cut the Rope
    etc.

12. dckcentaur macrumors member

My Friends did this for a while then it wouldn't hold a charge . I took it to apple they replaced the unit with a refurbished unit for $100 out of warranty as they said it was a battery gone bad. Maybe The battery is going bad and causing it to crash.

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Angry Birds Space runs flawlessly on my iPad 1, but it frequently crashes in Safari even doing such "light" tasks as reading the MR homepage with no other tabs open.

For me, it is an OS 5 issue; I could count on one hand the number of crashes my iPad had when it was running any flavor of iOS 4. Unfortunately, a lot of first-gen iPads gained some serious crashing issues in iOS 5, while many more (including two other first-gen iPads in my family) seem completely unaffected.

I've done complete restores, including wiping and setting it up as new, and the issues persist. Even so, restoring it might be worth a try if you haven't done one already.

14. mikeos macrumors newbie

This happens to me a lot, but I'm jailbroken and if I want to play a game that would use a lot of memory I just put my iPad in safe mode. Solves all my crashing problems.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Depended on the OS for me. On 3.0 and 4.0 it wasn't bad at all. On 5.0, it was unbearable.

16. djjclark macrumors regular

5.1 seemed to fix my problems especially with safari.

17. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Yeah, 5.0 is what did it.

18. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I used my iPad 1 up until my launch iPad 3 came. When I first got iOS 5, i was having issues with crashes, but as soon as I updated to 5.0.1 and 5.1, it was flawless. Make sure the software is updated all the way.

19. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Try parenting your child instead of letting your iPad do it.

20. rantor49 macrumors regular

Someone is being very judgemental today......:rolleyes:

21. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Jumping to conclusions a bit quickly here, aren't we?

22. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well, I sold it before the release of 5.1 so no clue on that but 5.0.x was horrible for me.

23. iEvolution, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

iEvolution macrumors 65816

Someone is jealous. iPads are excellent educational devices. Completely fail to see what your post has to do with the OPs question, ignorance like this is what is wrong with this board, seems to attract snobs.

OP downgrading the OS may be able to help.

I don't understand why the iPod touch runs the latest games fine but the iPad can't, I suppose the larger screen requires more processor power.

24. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

It's not like the OP said "I lock the child in a room with an iPad while the wife and I go out drinking."

Kids who don't use tablets and computers are at a great disadvantage when they reach school age. So much work is done in schools now on electronic devices - even at a very early age - that using devices like an iPad is expected to be a basic skill.