My little boys iPad 1 keeps crashing?

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
We donated our old iPad 1 to my 4 yr old son so he can play his games and educational stuff on it without filling our iPads up with stuff.

Trouble is it does not look as though it can handle the latest games, he plays Angry birds space on it and plants v Zombies and cut the rope but all too often he is a 30 secs into the game and then it cuts to the home screen.

Anyone know why? is the cpu, gpu maxed out? it is enclosed in a plastic case but I don't think that is the cause. I have done hard resets and stuff but it does seem to be pretty random.

Thanks

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Try a hard reset first, hold the black power button on the top edge while also holding down the round power button in the bezel,until you get a silver Apple in the screen, let it reboot;)
He said in his post that he had done hard resets already.

jacob-07

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Had this happen to me occasionally with my iPad 1, it's probably due to the small size ram. I'd imagine that it would struggle with the newer apps.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
yep tried the hard reset, and tried the full restore it just seems as though it can't handle the newer apps.

Anyone else have problems running newer stuff on iPad 1?

Star56

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
My 3 year old plays Angry Bird-Space on her ipad 1 all the time with zero problems. No reboots or lockups on any of her games.

Your ipod 1 is having issues.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I am starting to think you may well be right - hmmm my little boy has been eyeing up my iPad 2 and my Wifes iPad 3 for a few weeks now!

I think I already know which way this is going to go.....

MacLurker316

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
I actually have been having similar issues with my iPad1 as well - there's this iBomber tank game that keeps crashing when I use it on iPad1 (happened from day 1), but all other apps work fine, and the same app also works fine on my iPad2. I also have to say other apps appear to run more sluggish on the iPad1, which is expected, but I do experience more crashes on my iPad1 when running new apps. Guess developers aren't troubleshooting as much against the older iPad1's anymore?

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
In my experience with the iPad 1, the RAM was unbearable. I could rarely play a game to a level of enjoyment without crashes.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
In my experience with the iPad 1, the RAM was unbearable. I could rarely play a game to a level of enjoyment without crashes.
When I had the iPad 1, I have no problem with:

Asphalt 6
Need for for speed Hot Pursuit
Infinity Blade
N.O.V.A
Cut the Rope
etc.

dckcentaur

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
My Friends did this for a while then it wouldn't hold a charge . I took it to apple they replaced the unit with a refurbished unit for $100 out of warranty as they said it was a battery gone bad. Maybe The battery is going bad and causing it to crash.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Angry Birds Space runs flawlessly on my iPad 1, but it frequently crashes in Safari even doing such "light" tasks as reading the MR homepage with no other tabs open.

For me, it is an OS 5 issue; I could count on one hand the number of crashes my iPad had when it was running any flavor of iOS 4. Unfortunately, a lot of first-gen iPads gained some serious crashing issues in iOS 5, while many more (including two other first-gen iPads in my family) seem completely unaffected.

I've done complete restores, including wiping and setting it up as new, and the issues persist. Even so, restoring it might be worth a try if you haven't done one already.

mikeos

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
UK
This happens to me a lot, but I'm jailbroken and if I want to play a game that would use a lot of memory I just put my iPad in safe mode. Solves all my crashing problems.

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
I used my iPad 1 up until my launch iPad 3 came. When I first got iOS 5, i was having issues with crashes, but as soon as I updated to 5.0.1 and 5.1, it was flawless. Make sure the software is updated all the way.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Try parenting your child instead of letting your iPad do it.
Someone is jealous. iPads are excellent educational devices. Completely fail to see what your post has to do with the OPs question, ignorance like this is what is wrong with this board, seems to attract snobs.

OP downgrading the OS may be able to help.

I don't understand why the iPod touch runs the latest games fine but the iPad can't, I suppose the larger screen requires more processor power.

Last edited:

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Someone is jealous. iPads are excellent educational devices. Completely fail to see what your post has to do with the OPs question, ignorance like this is what is wrong with this board, seems to attract snobs.
It's not like the OP said "I lock the child in a room with an iPad while the wife and I go out drinking."

Kids who don't use tablets and computers are at a great disadvantage when they reach school age. So much work is done in schools now on electronic devices - even at a very early age - that using devices like an iPad is expected to be a basic skill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.