My little Project (PowerPC Resurrection!)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by INSURGENCYmusic, Jan 15, 2012.

1. INSURGENCYmusic, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

Ok so I bought a Powermac g5 dual 2.7, back in april of 2005. I used it mainly for Logic pro. I had 3gb's of RAM and used it for about 3 years with no problems. until the Airplane mode stuff started happening. and it kept getting worse until it finally never turned on. That was some time very late 2009. And i couldnt afford to fix it.

I haven't touched it since about a month ago. I got the urge to get back into making music, because I would have never stopped if it was working. So I did a little research here and there, and I came to the conclusion that it was the logicboard. So I found a logic board on ebay for pretty cheap, about 80 bux.

So i got the logicboard, opened the case, pulled out the power supply and Whoa..... Liquid coolant mania. All this time, I didn't know about this. the coolant crept up to the logic board and processor to the power supply. Basically spread like cancer to everything.

So i did some research and found that this was a health hazard and that Apple should be responsible to take care of this. so I called and they told me to take it to the nearest Mac certified repair and they will take care of the charges. So i did, and i spoke to the repair guys and they confirmed to me that they will be able to fix it.

So now im on a mission to get the most out of my baby. I bought 8gb of ram (max), i bought the x800 xt mac version, which is the highest rated video card for the powerpc g5's, and now Im on the hard drives and am going buy the Firmtek SeriTek/1eVE2+2
    4 Port 1.5Gb/s eSATA PCI / PCI-X Host Adapter
    , which allows me to put 4 SSD's on it. Im starting off with 2 120b ssd's.

so this is my project, very excited for this. Is there anything else anyone would recommend? Again, using it only for my music projects and probably SOME video editing.

PEACE!:D .

2. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Apple is paying for your coolant system repair this far out of warranty???

Also, if you don't need the external SATA ports I think you can get a 4 port internal SeriTek card for cheaper. http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/sata1v4.html

This thing should fly with some SSDs in it.

The coolant isn't much different from automotive coolant I believe, so no imminent health hazard really... unless you have a curious dog. :rolleyes:

3. INSURGENCYmusic thread starter macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

You have no idea.... I couldn't believe it, but at the same time i could. They even told me that if it cost too much to repair, that they would "have to" replace it. I'm almost glad that they are able to repair because I would have to start from scratch if I ditched the PowerPC and went to intel. 7 years of work would be all gone.

But as far as your controller card, I think I'll go with that. I didnt really wan't 2 exterior ports. But that's all OWC said they had for my machine. So I probably will pick this one up, Thanx.

4. vohdoun, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

It is good stuff. It stops the insides from corroding. Insides of the radiators are always immaculate silver.

I keep the double G5 printed and plastic radiator guard off with the plastic shield on just in case for quick checking. It's nearly as old as yours and still dry. Even checked to see if there's any rice particles at the CPU blocks once you have the fans out etc. So far so good still clean. Dust free too.

Sadly the only fear I have is how much coolant has evaporated since 2005. I think I'll strip it down in the summer for a top up.

I'd love to fit it with clear hosing so I can see everything thats going on and the state of the water.

5. INSURGENCYmusic thread starter macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

I think its just regular radiator fluid, and they have those rubber seals. I think if you take have a clean, safe setup, you can refill it with regular radiator fluid. Worth a try I think. You dont want it to over heat.