My local Mac seller can only get made-to-order Mac Pros!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thermodynamic, Sep 25, 2009.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

:eek:

They can't get pre-boxed ones, at least for now.

It's been said that, when Apple does this sort of thing, that a model refresh or price change might follow...

Anyone have any info on this? I'm keen on upgrading but don't want to do so too early, especially as I suspect a price drop MIGHT be coming for the Pro line...

Incidentally, with my student ID, here are the specs from Apple's site. Please pinch me as I must be having a nightmare:

* single Quad core at 2.93
    * 8GB RAM
    * Radeon 4970
    * 640GB HD

= $3154

or

* dual Quad core at 2.26
    * 6GB RAM
    * Radeon 4970
    * 640GB HD

= $3179

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek:

(without the student ID, prices are a bit more, but under these circumstances, if future-proofing isn't a dumb idea, and with only a half GHz drop, surely the dual quad is the more impressive machine? Or are they keen to get rid of those as everyone knows that dual quads won't be put at full potential any time soon?)

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

That's pretty expensive...lol. You're NOT a poor college student!!

3. ShocK x10 macrumors newbie

get the dual quad, get the minimum RAM and HDD when u order, then buy these from amazon or crucial or where-ever, and put it in yourself.. save a packet :cool:

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The only thing that could be on the cards are price changes. If this is the case then there is no logical reason why you wouldn't be able to get the standard retail box units to a reseller.

5. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Oh, that IS expensive - especially the single quad. A windows *ista PC would cost less. Though not by much when you consider most of those don't use Xeon CPUs and ECC RAM... :D

Right now I'm poor because I'm shelling out vacation money, selling off my remaining PC for a pittance, and am using an evil credit card.

6. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Logical. The one I'm looking at is the 6GB base model.

The 4870 video card, as made-to-order, is $180, so I doubt I could get that cheaper elsewhere... :D

Four 4GB RAM modules cost $680 -- but with 8 slots I could easily get eight 2GB modules and spend less than half that... :D :D

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd drop the graphics card to the min spec to and grab the graphics card from somewhere like OWC (otherworldcomputing.com), I got my GTX 285 there, they might have that 4970.

Kind Regards

8. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Weird - that more boxes wouldn't show up... with this turn of events, I will definitely wait, this next week out, to be sure...

9. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Thanks MUCH for that link! I'll keep my eye on them (no 4970 yet but I'll double check), but they do have some good deals!

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

are you sure you need a mac pro?

using a cc to fund a computer is unwise if you dont have the money to pay off that cc

11. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

I've gotten my iMac to slow using Photoshop and AfterEffects...

I will be selling off the iMac to recoup some of the costs... I'd still be using the CC, but the full sum would be paid back within 2~3 months.