My login screen loops everytime i sign in PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beersypro, Oct 22, 2011.

1. beersypro, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011

beersypro macrumors newbie

Earlier today i was working on a program when my entire mac froze. So i shut the computer down and tured it on. It got to the login page and i login then it does nothing for like 5 minutes and then gos to a blue screen for a second and goes back to my login page. It loops no matter what I do and cant get to my desk top. I tried to go into the safe mode and i typed "exit" to see if that would clear it up but its still doing it. I also tried to hld SHIFT after logging in but nothing, someone PLEASE help!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm really just guessing, but I would suspect that something is wrong with your home folder.

What happened in "safe mode" can you elaborate?

Which Mac? Which OS version? These details may help pin it down.

Do you have a recent backup?

B

3. beersypro thread starter macrumors newbie

its a os x notebook....i dont recall the exact secifications and i cant get into the desktop to look up the details anyway in the safe mode it goes through all the normal stuff and at the end it says

"if you want to make modifications to files:"
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /

then it says if you wish to boot the system:
    exit

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. beersypro thread starter macrumors newbie

well im at work and on the computer a work i bring the lap top with me to work. if you want you can talk to me on another site if that makes it easier??

6. beersypro thread starter macrumors newbie

i went into safe mode and follwed the instruction you gave me. i typed in the
    /sbin/fsck -fy

and let it go through everything till it said the volume was ok and typed reboot. buts its till looping the login screen