My LTE iPad says " searching" when I first turn cellular data on. Help.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Sometimes when I open up my iPad, and activate cellular data it says searching then goes to no service and I have to turn it off and back on to get service. Any idea what is going on? I really don't wanna take my iPad back, because the screen is perfect.

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

AT&T or Verizon?

Maybe the SIM card is bad? Try taking it back to the carriers store and see if it's hardware or software related.

Also could be the area you're in, do you know if they have LTE service in your area?

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon. Some areas are 3 g, but one is LTE.

4. pat park macrumors 6502a

if you have a Verizon store in your area, I would go check them out.

5. trek360 macrumors 6502

This happened to me intermittently on my 64gb AT&T version. I had to reset network settings or turn it off/on to get it to pick up again. This began straight out of the box. I called AT&T who said all they could do was replace the sim. I replaced the sim twice and it still happened. Went to the genius bar and they offered to replace it without any fuss.

They didn't have one in stock so they had to order one. I just got it a few days ago and no problems now with the cellular service on this iPad. Luckily the screen is great even seems brighter than the old one which seemed dim and no other issues with heat or anything else.

I'd return it while you are in the 14 day period. If you get a dud you can always return it again.

6. elmo151 Guest

7. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got it at the Verizon store. Wiil I have to pay a restocking fee?

8. trek360 macrumors 6502

I'm not that sure about Verizon but it looks like they may have a $70 restocking fee. You might want to call and check.

If you are locked in, then keep trying until you get one that doesn't have the issue. Also confirm that it happens it different areas, not just in your home for example. You may want to do a restore on the ipad. For sure if you take it in to apple they will ask if you did that.

9. trek360 macrumors 6502

Just curious what you ended up doing.

(I haven't had any problems since I got my replacement.)

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I had the same problem. Verizon said it was "normal" and it really wasn't a big deal so I let it be. I had to return the iPad yesterday for a different reason and the replacement does not do that in the same places. It is normal to search for a very short period but mine did for up 3-5 minutes minutes and I am in a very strong LTE signal area.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Most likely ipads go with the strongest signal.

12. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since then, I haven't had any issues so I ended up keeping it.