My mabook already knows networks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sungjupark, Nov 18, 2013.

1. sungjupark macrumors newbie

I'm using mid-2010 13' one and yesterday I have upgraded my ram to 8gb, installed 1TB hdd and swap odd to sad.

I have installed fresh mavericks on my fusion drive and the system seems to already know some networks like my school's, home, girlfriend's house etc. :confused:

I would like to know how newly installed fresh OS X knows wifi profiles and passwords.

* by the way it's macbook not mabook..

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe that this data is stored in PRAM. I've experienced the same thing so it's not just you :)

It's important to remember to clear PRAM when you sell a computer!

3. sungjupark thread starter macrumors newbie

but it didn't remember any of the networks before??? for example when I installed SL on a partition.

Thanks anyway that explains what had happened :)

4. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

I think it has to do with iCloud Keychain if you have that enabled. I just recently got my first Mac and I noticed that it had a list of all the networks my iPhone had previously connected to.

5. qwerf123 macrumors regular

The guy above this is right. Its most likely iCloud Keychain so if you have an iPad/iPhone, it has probably got your networks from iCloud

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't believe it is. I created a Mavericks USB stick and booted from it, and it connected to my Wi-Fi network from the installer. I didn't have to enter any details whatsoever, Wi-Fi or iCloud.

7. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

Maybe it's a combination of either/or? I'm not familiar with the PRAM at all but your scenario wouldn't make sense in my case since my Mac was brand new yet it already had a bunch of WiFi networks saved. So maybe the info is stored in multiple places?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Could be! Otherwise I blame ghosts :)

9. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

It's all stored in icloud. If you go into your network settings and poke around a bit, you'll find every network your Apple devises have hooked up to there. Even when you found free WiFi in the middle of Nevada.

10. sungjupark thread starter macrumors newbie

iCloud? PRAM?
    I believe it is iCloud since my SL on a partition of my hard drive does not recognise any of the routers.
    Many thanks guys!

11. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Definitely iCloud. As a poster mentioned above, their laptop was new, as was mine. Had to put the passcode for initial setup, but after my Apple ID was entered, going into WiFi networks presented a list of every network my iPhone/iPad has connected to, along with saved passwords. Pretty handy! Just a shame it doesn't seem to be a feature on iOS devices (yet).