My Mac (10.3.9) will not except any blank CD-R's!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chr248x0x, Jun 14, 2008.

1. chr248x0x macrumors newbie

Hello.
    Ok i just bought these new CD-R blank disks and i put one in. First of all it dosen't show up in the desktop and then a minute later it just ejects! I checked the disk, and there isn't a scratch on it! My Macintosh is a 10.3.9. I need help pleaseeee:0

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Might be the disks or brand. I usually avoid CD-R and RW disks choosing instead to use CD+R but in theory they all should work. Do other disks work OK in the drive?

Regards.

3. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I had the same problem and did some testing.

My 17" iMac all of a sudden started giving me problems when inserting some CD's or DVD's (either blank ones or some that had been previously recorded by this same machine). At the same time my 20" iMac has no problem with any type of media (reading or recording).

I bought 6 different brand of CD's and DVD's and tested them on both machines. While the 20" machine had no problem with blank ones, pre-recorded ones or recording then reading them back, the 17" machine would not recognize blank CD's and DVD's of certain brands and will fail whilst recording on some of the other brands that past the recognition stage. This happened on all the the disks of each brand (i.e - I had 10 disk of each brand and it would not read all ten blank disks and would fail recording on all ten disks of the same brand).

Empirical conclusion: the CD/DVD unit in the machine gets "picky" after some use (worn out, dirt, dirty lens, whatever...) and won't accept some brand or type within the same brand.

HTH

4. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I can confirm this!