My Mac Book Pro Hurts!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by njervey, Jul 29, 2009.

1. njervey macrumors newbie

I am a webmaster for a school district and I am on the computer for many hours a day. I have had my Mac Book Pro for one day and my hand is killing me. The edge of the laptop seems to sharp. I am not sure if I buy a hard case if that will soften the edge of the laptop. Is anyone else finding this a problem? I have been using Mac Book Pros for many years and I have never found the edge so sharp!

Thanks,
    Nancy

2. harry454 macrumors 6502

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

I have the Moshi palmguard to keep the area clean, in this case, it will not help OP.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sorry webmaster, but you have bad posture. I'm on my MBP 24/7 and I have yet to have this problem.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Never had it. My desk is a bigger issue than the computer

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I was worrying on the drive home with my new mbp about sharp edges as the thought was planted in my mind by this forum. After using it now for two days, I have no idea what the hell these guys are talking about, it feels dull to me.

Most ergonomic computer ive ever had:)

7. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

The edges are much sharper on the unibodies. On the non-unibodies they have a plastic gasket that runs around the edge. I, like of other unibody owners eventually learn to position our hands to reduce the discomfort but yeah, they should really round the edges of these things.

Of course, wearing a long-sleeved shirt cures the problem. I suspect you could wear wristbands for long typing sessions. Eventually I would imagine someone making a type of tape you place around the edges.

Don't listen to the guys who say "you have bad posture" because you don't type as if you're playing piano for a royal conservatory exam. We don't all have the luxury of having our tables, chairs etc at the proper height. It's a laptop after all, they can be used in many possible positions.

8. Saint Luke macrumors newbie

i've seen people with plastic covers, but id be curious how much hotter they run with them on. Rounded corners would have been nice even if it didnt look as awesome, the left edge of mine has marks on the edge of the corner from my watch rubbing againsed it. If i move my hands back, i get mac-stabbed in the hand. If your lucky you'll knock your elbow on the corner of the corner, and get a cut thats as annoying as a papercut!

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The edges are a bit sharp but they really don't bother me at all or are in the way.

10. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Watch out or Ill cut you with the edge of my MBP foo!

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

glad to hear I'm not the only one who has sore wrists at the end of the day.

12. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

yeah i'm thinking of using sandpaper to file it down a lil bit, not sure how thick that area is

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Well that might be due to personal reasons and completely unrelated to the notebook. :D

14. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

I found that you tend to get used to the edge after a while.
    However last week I finally got this case (Amazon Link) and (see picture) it actually prevents the edge from being sharp, it's odd because the case goes below the line and is withdrawn from the point, but it really does.

Attached Files:

• web.jpg
      web.jpg
      File size:
      146.8 KB
      Views:
  15. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

You have an AWESOME job. (Or a very boring one...):D

16. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

i love how sharp it is... i wish it was sharper... i wish i could cut my nails with it... and slice apples... id do both...

17. raremage macrumors 6502a

Haven't observed the edge to be overly sharp, with the exception of the pointy corners at each end of the gap in the case to open the lit. That part is pretty noticeable.

18. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Raise the back of the MBP and the problem will be solved. I tried a bunch of stands/coolers and having tried many I'd recommend this somewhat expensive stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-AWE09U...YJN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249136226&sr=8-1

I also modified a palm rest pad designed for the previous MBP just to make the surface where I rest my palms less cold and thus more comfortable. See here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Macally-MacBook-Protective-Microfiber-BOOKPADPRO/dp/B000RNC6UW/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Before I bought the stand, I would look at my forearms and see these red lines across my skin after using my MBP. I started wearing long sleeve shirts to protect my arms.

If Apple incorporated a kick stand on the back to prop up the back of the 15" and 17" models I think that would be a nice feature. A slight angle on the keyboard makes typing more comfortable.