My Mac can no longer find my Time Capsule or my home network.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marius1, May 19, 2008.

1. marius1 macrumors newbie

Hello, having had no problems for the first few months I can no longer get online. My Mac cannot find my network (but can find all of the other networks on my street) and cannot find the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule itself has a green light so I assume is working fine. My daughter knocked the ethernet cable from the the Time Capsule around the time it stopped working - could this be related? We also moved our cordless phone near to the Time Capsule around the same time - could this be the problem? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Try restarting the TC. In AirPort Utility, under "Base Station" in the menu bar, click "Restart" and then "Continue" when it asks if you know what you're doing. In a minute or so, it will have restarted and may now work properly.

3. marius1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem I have is that when going to Airport Utility I can't find the Time Capsule. It is as though the network and Time Capsule have just disappeared.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Then unplug it and count to 30 and replug it. Give it a kick start.

5. marius1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help Batt. I'll try it tonight. Presumably if I reset the Time Capsule I lose all of the data stored on it?

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

No, I think you're OK, a reset just unscrambles it's brains.

7. marius1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unplugging and/or resetting doesn't seem to work, sadly. I still get the green light on the TC but my computer can't find the TC (and therefore my home network either). This is very frustrating as I can find several other networks down my street but not the one in my own house. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

8. alFR macrumors 68020

Have you tried connecting the Mac to the TC via an ethernet cable to see if it will find it that way or tried another wireless client with the TC? If you do those things it should help you to narrow down whether the problem's with your mac or the TC. You could also try connecting to someone else's wifi network (anyone you know got either a TC or an AEBS?) with the mac to make sure the Airport is working properly.

9. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

I have had a similar issue with my airport extreme base station and a usb hard drive. I think that it likely has something to do with the cordless phone, as mine is right next to the cordless as well. I have an airport express on a WDS network with the AEBS. What happens is everything appears green and then it can only find the Airport Express. I had the channel set to 1 and that seemed to maybe cross with other wireless routers in the building or the cordless phone. I changed to channel 9 and everything has been fine. Try plugging in directly with an ethernet cable and changing the wireless channel in the wireless tab in the airport utility. If that doesn't work then unplug the time capsule and reset your cable modem. Wait for the cable modem to reboot and then plug the time capsule back in. Sometimes the lease on your IP runs out and it causes the wireless to go haywire

10. marius1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I'll try both when I get home tonight. Sadly, I only have one ethernet cable which I used to connect the TC to my cable modem so it looks like I might have to buy another. I'll let you know how it goes - I really appreciate you all taking the time to help.

11. alFR macrumors 68020

Also, if you think it's the 'phone, you could either try moving it away from the TC if possible or if you can connect via ethernet you could change the TC to use the 5Ghz band rather than 2.4GHz (assuming your MacBook is recent enough to have 802.11N). There's an option to select which band in Airport Utility.

12. marius1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally got it sorted. On about the 4th reset of the TC it suddenly appeared again on my Mac. I then had to name it and create a new network as the old one as disappeared into the ether. I think that it must have been caused by interference from my cordless phone (which we moved closer to the TC to stop my 1 year old from getting at it).

I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.