My mac can't start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Danes, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Danes macrumors newbie

I was playing a flash game online when my mac suddenly crashed, I let it cool off for a bit seeing as it had got quite hot

When I came to the grey apple screen with the loading "wheel" or whatever it's called (not the beach ball) it just idled there, the longest I've let it idle so far is 30 mins

I've tried running fsck -fy
    and found my install disk to use the disk utilities, it says my "Macintosh HD" is fine and that there is nothing to repair

Though when it came to controlling the Disk0s3 it said invalid request - Also the notes stated thid disk was for my windows partition

I can't see any logical way to fix this, so I am hoping someone here might be a bit more clever than me :)

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

During startup, try holding "command (apple key) + V"

you can see a display of the loading processes, maybe there will be some useful info there to determine why it is hanging.

3. Danes thread starter macrumors newbie

Says:

Jul 5 03:35:14 Danes-macbook Reportcrash[X]: Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/Crashreporter/loginwindow_2009-07-05-034632_danes-macbook.crash using uid: 0 gid: 0, euid: 0 egid: 0

Jul 5 03:47:26 danes-macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/Loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/Loginwindow[252]: Login Window Application Failed

Jul 5 03:50:20 danes-macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/Loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/Loginwindow[292]: Login Window Application Started

Just continues like that, and writes 2 more lines I can't see because the screen resets too quick :(

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Can you boot of your os x DVD and run disk utility there? it will not allow you to repair the disk if your booting from it in this case the HDD.

5. Danes thread starter macrumors newbie

That doesn't work either as I wrote before :/ just tells me my HDD is fine