My Mac ceases to work every 10 minute?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibegynnelsen, Jun 19, 2014.

1. ibegynnelsen macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got a Mac Book Pro Retina 15-inch, early 2013, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 with OS X 10.9.3 (13D65).

Recently (about the latest week) my Mac has begun ceases to function about every 10 minutes. It freezes for a brief moment and than jumps to a grey screen where it says that the computer stopped working and than it restarts, getting to the inlogg screen and all programs restarts.

Any help or advise is grateful for me!

Kind regards
    Sebastian

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like a hardware failure. I recommend running the Apple Hardware Test and/or calling Apple.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

What have you tried so far to rectify the problem?

4. ibegynnelsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for the fast replies!

I have tried restarting it, couldn't think of anything else "/

Okay, i will test running the Apple hardware test and see if there is some response there.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

While crashes like that are generally indicative of a hardware problem (usually bad RAM), try backing up your data, and using Internet Recovery to format your hard drive and install the version of OS X that originally came with your system. If it was Mavericks, then upgrade to 10.9.2 via the combo update.

Both my MBP and Mac Mini I use for work have been behaving strangely lately, with the latter experiencing the same "gray screen of death" crash. The only major change to either system was the installation of 10.9.3. Both machines were completely stable under 10.9.2.

A restore might be worth a try before you get involved with calling or visiting Apple.

6. ibegynnelsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, maybe i'l try a restore to. The hardware test did not give me any bad results (kind of a relief).

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would try a fresh install of OS X.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Interent recovery will get you the latest point update, not the original version. So for example if your Mac came with Mavericks 10.9.1 and you do Internet recovery today you will get 10.9.3 installed. The only way to get back to 10.9.2 is from a backup or if you saved a 10.9.2 full installer to the USB key.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Check the Console for clues of what is happening when you experience the freezes. Also open Activity Monitor to see what is going on real time.
    What apps are you normally running while this happens?
    Safari? Try resetting it...Flash...???

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like what you are seeing is a kernel panic. Look at the screenshots toward the bottom of this page under the Mountain Lion section. Is that what you are seeing?

If that is what you are seeing, it is possible it is software related, but if you have not installed anything new and this just spontaneously started, you very likely have a hardware failure and will need to take it to Apple for repair.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Check temps and fans are operating and not clogged with dust. Reseat the RAM modules (assuming not soldered).

12. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

I actually have this problem too with my 2013 iMac.. Have you found a solution OP?

Am planning on contacting Apple soon.